Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone has no audible Messages notification when next to my iMac

Hi, when I'm seated next to my office iMac, and someone sends me a text message via Messages, my iPhone (13, iOS 16.1.1) does not emit the assigned audible notification (though I can see it visually popping up on my screen). Once I leave the office it will go back to normal.

I already turned off the "Play sound for notifications" in my iMac's Messages Notifications settings.

What gives?

Thanks!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 4, 2022 11:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2022 4:41 PM

amifromskokie,

That would be expected behavior if you forward your messages and the notification appears on your iMac as notifications would work seamlessly to the device you are currently using: Forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your Mac or iPad - Apple Support

When you turned off 'Play sound for notifications' on your iMac, that muted the audible notification for text messages being sent from your iPhone to your iMac and why you won't hear the sound coming from your iPhone.

That's why in the last message, if you turn off the Handoff features or turn off forwarding messages there, the notifications would only be with your iPhone if that's how you'd like it to perform.

If you'd like to leave feedback, you can do so here: Product Feedback - Apple

Cheers.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2022 4:41 PM in response to amifromskokie

amifromskokie,

That would be expected behavior if you forward your messages and the notification appears on your iMac as notifications would work seamlessly to the device you are currently using: Forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your Mac or iPad - Apple Support

When you turned off 'Play sound for notifications' on your iMac, that muted the audible notification for text messages being sent from your iPhone to your iMac and why you won't hear the sound coming from your iPhone.

That's why in the last message, if you turn off the Handoff features or turn off forwarding messages there, the notifications would only be with your iPhone if that's how you'd like it to perform.

If you'd like to leave feedback, you can do so here: Product Feedback - Apple

Cheers.

Dec 9, 2022 1:56 PM in response to amifromskokie

Hello amifromskokie,

If you want the iPhone to notify you, then disabling Handoff would be the recommended step.

To turn this feature off, check out the link below.

Hand off tasks between iPhone and your other devices - Apple Support

To perform the recommended steps via the link above. Please click to open the link, then read through the steps in the section titled "Turn off Handoff on your devices."

*iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch: Go to Settings  > General > AirPlay & Handoff.

*macOS Ventura: Choose Apple menu  > System Settings, click General in the sidebar, click AirDrop & Handoff on the right, then turn off Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices.

*macOS 12.5 or earlier: Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click General, then deselect “Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices.”

The reason why we are recommending the steps above is because they will show you how to turn off Handoff on your devices.

Please do not hesitate to reach back out to us if you have more questions.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

Dec 12, 2022 12:40 PM in response to amifromskokie

Greetings amifromskokie,

If the issue seems partially resolved or intermittently happening, the issue may be related to your software. We noticed in your first message, that your iPhone is on iOS 16.1.1. The latest version of iOS is 16.1.2 for iPhone 8 and later. At this point, you'll want to make a backup of your iPhone and update the software to see if this corrects the issue. The update process can frequently address unexpected software behavior. Here's a guide to help: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support.

Update your iPhone or iPad wirelessly
1. Back up your device using iCloud or your computer.
2. Plug your device into power and connect to the internet with Wi-Fi.
3. Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
4. If you see more than one software update option available, choose the one that you want to install.
The Settings app on iPhone showing options to update to iOS 15.7 or iOS 16.
5. Tap Install Now. If you see Download and Install instead, tap it to download the update, enter your passcode, then tap Install Now. If you don't know your passcode, learn what to do.

If the issue remains, or you need further support, please Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support.

Best wishes!

Dec 9, 2022 9:01 AM in response to Nicholas_B2

Thanks, Nicholas. As I mentioned above, my iPhone is now set to allow Handoff, as well as my iMac.

And my Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding is set to forward to my iMac.

On my iMac Messages — please see 2 screeshots with my 2 settings:

When I selected "Play sound effects" it wouldn't sound anything, as my iPhone won't, when they're next to each other.

Under "you can be reached..." shows my phone number, my regular email, and my iCloud email, which I never use.

Dec 6, 2022 2:38 PM in response to amifromskokie

Hey there amifromskokie,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. To get started, do you by chance have Handoff enabled on your Mac and iPhone? Check out the locations below for help with checking that:

- Mac with earlier versions of macOS: Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click General, then select “Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices.”
- iPhone or iPad: Go to Settings > General > AirPlay & Handoff, then turn on Handoff.

If Handoff is enabled, does the issue persist if you disable this feature? If it does, then this is likely expected behavior as Handoff allows you to start work on one device, then switch to another nearby device and pick up where you left off.

Keep us updated on the results.

Take care!

iPhone has no audible Messages notification when next to my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.