Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is iOS 16 compatible with iTunes 8.2.3?

Is iPadOS 16 compatible with iTunes 8.2.3? My wife accidentally through out my old iPad. I want to buy a new generation 9 iPad which is supposed to be compatible with iTunes 8.2.3 running under MacOS 10.12. I need to use MacOS 10.12 in order to run software that won't run under higher MacOS's.

If iPadOS 16 can't connect to iTunes 8.2.3 on my Mac, what was the last version of iPad OS that will connect to my Mac. I will have to find the best used iPad that will connect to iTunes on my computer.

NB

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Dec 4, 2022 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2022 11:57 AM

iPad tenth gen is current, and requires El Capitan 10.11.6 or later, or Windows 10 or later.

iPad ninth gen has the same requirements: El Capitan 10.11.6 or later, or Windows 10 or later.

Usual for this situation is installing and using an external bootable device and booting Sierra 10.12 or High Sierra 10.13 or maybe Mojave 10.14 when you need access to the old apps, or installing a hypervisor app (virtual machine) and installing Sierra 10.12, High Sierra 10.13, or Mojave 10.14 as a guest. This while using an Intel Mac. Older macOS versions cannot boot natively on Apple silicon Macs. Put differently, keep current, and isolate the older apps until they can be replaced or retired.

As for your question about macOS updates, please post the Mac model and Mac model year, and we can look this up.

Or you can see the upgrades for whatever Mac you have listed here: How to download macOS - Apple Support

Any Mac running Sierra 10.12 can run High Sierra 10.13. Older 32-bit apps can usually run on Mojave 10.14 and earlier.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2022 11:57 AM in response to NetBlueBB

iPad tenth gen is current, and requires El Capitan 10.11.6 or later, or Windows 10 or later.

iPad ninth gen has the same requirements: El Capitan 10.11.6 or later, or Windows 10 or later.

Usual for this situation is installing and using an external bootable device and booting Sierra 10.12 or High Sierra 10.13 or maybe Mojave 10.14 when you need access to the old apps, or installing a hypervisor app (virtual machine) and installing Sierra 10.12, High Sierra 10.13, or Mojave 10.14 as a guest. This while using an Intel Mac. Older macOS versions cannot boot natively on Apple silicon Macs. Put differently, keep current, and isolate the older apps until they can be replaced or retired.

As for your question about macOS updates, please post the Mac model and Mac model year, and we can look this up.

Or you can see the upgrades for whatever Mac you have listed here: How to download macOS - Apple Support

Any Mac running Sierra 10.12 can run High Sierra 10.13. Older 32-bit apps can usually run on Mojave 10.14 and earlier.

Dec 8, 2022 3:33 PM in response to MrHoffman

Help! I purchased the iPad (9th gen) based on your statement that it was compatible with Mac OS Sierra. The iPad is running software version 15.7.1.

It will not connect to my MacBookPro11,4 (Mid 2015) running Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6, the very last version of Mac OS Sierra. When I connect the new iPad to my MacBookPro via the USB cable, a dialogue box appears "A software update is required to connect [the new iPad name]. Would you like to download and install this update now?". Any software update will erase Mac OS Sierra and install higher MacOS software, which I do not want.

When I try to connect the new iPad to iTunes (version 12.8.2.3, the last version of iTunes compatible with Sierra), I get the same message. There does not seem to be a way to get the applications, music and other data from my last backup of my older iPad (stored on my MacBookPro) onto my new iPad (I did not back it up using iCloud). It does not seem that iPadOS 15.7.1 is compatible with Mac OS Sierra. What do you recommend?

NB

Is iOS 16 compatible with iTunes 8.2.3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.