Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk First Aid: "apfs_fs_alloc_count is not valid" Should I worry?

Hi,

I just ran First Aid on my MacOS Ventura system disk. Here are the results:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Running First Aid on “Mac External HD” (disk3s4s1)

Verifying the startup volume will cause this computer to stop responding.

Verifying file system.

Volume could not be unmounted.

Using live mode.

Performing fsck_apfs -n -l -x /dev/rdisk3s4

Checking the container superblock.

Checking the checkpoint with transaction ID 12802384.

Checking the EFI jumpstart record.

Checking the space manager.

Checking the space manager free queue trees.

Checking the object map.

Checking the encryption key structures.

Checking volume /dev/rdisk3s4.

Checking the APFS volume superblock.

The volume Mac External HD was formatted by storagekitd (1677.81.1) and last modified by apfs_kext (2142.41.2).

Checking the object map.

Checking the snapshot metadata tree.

Checking the snapshot metadata.

Checking snapshot 1 of 1 (com.apple.os.update-079A54D1412A11A1024945BB3021653F5628DF60106A0F30142459966A8749B8)

Checking the fsroot tree.

Checking the file extent tree.

Checking the extent ref tree.

Verifying volume object map space.

warning: apfs_fs_alloc_count is not valid (expected 2155043, actual 2155057)

Verifying allocated space.

The volume /dev/rdisk3s4 appears to be OK.

File system check exit code is 0.

Restoring the original state found as mounted.

Operation successful.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Is that warning about "apfs_fs_alloc_count is not valid" something that I should worry about? I ran First Aid a second time, thinking that the count might have been "repaired", but I received the same message the second time.

Thanks,

Ken

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Dec 4, 2022 10:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 10:12 AM

The "warning" is on the "update" APFS snapshot volume. Install the macOS software updates, and afterwards this APFS snapshot volume should be gone resolving the warning condition.

If this doesn't solve the problem, then make sure to run First Aid from Recovery Mode to see if it can be repaired.

If Disk Utility is unable to repair the issue even in Recovery Mode, then you will need to erase the drive and reinstall macOS & restore from a backup. I personally don't like having any inconsistencies in a file system, so I personally would erase it if the other options I've mentioned does not resolve it. If you are not currently having any issues, then it may be safe to ignore (Apple thinks it is "ok"), but I personally would want it repaired.

Make sure to have a good backup just in case something goes wrong.

People should always have frequent and regular backups of their computer and all external media (including the cloud) which contains important & unique data.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2022 10:12 AM in response to Kenneth Hjulstrom

The "warning" is on the "update" APFS snapshot volume. Install the macOS software updates, and afterwards this APFS snapshot volume should be gone resolving the warning condition.

If this doesn't solve the problem, then make sure to run First Aid from Recovery Mode to see if it can be repaired.

If Disk Utility is unable to repair the issue even in Recovery Mode, then you will need to erase the drive and reinstall macOS & restore from a backup. I personally don't like having any inconsistencies in a file system, so I personally would erase it if the other options I've mentioned does not resolve it. If you are not currently having any issues, then it may be safe to ignore (Apple thinks it is "ok"), but I personally would want it repaired.

Make sure to have a good backup just in case something goes wrong.

People should always have frequent and regular backups of their computer and all external media (including the cloud) which contains important & unique data.

Disk First Aid: "apfs_fs_alloc_count is not valid" Should I worry?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.