Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seagate External HD not recognized on Monterey

I've been using a Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drive for years to back up my MacBook (Monterey 12.3.1) with Time Machine, but now that I have Monterey (previous Catalina), it's not being recognized (through a Hub connection that does allow recognition of USB thumb drives) even though the light comes on and the disk spins. It's not recognized on Disk Utility either, so there is no reformatting option (don't really want to lose previous Time Machine backups anyway).

Sounds like this is now a known issue (OS Monterey doesn't recognize seagate ext… - Apple Community), but I'm not clear on the solution.

The link above discusses downloading the Seagate Toolkit as a fix, but others recommend against it. Meanwhile, I'm trying to get Paragon to upgrade NTSF for Mac since that seems to be the solution I used when I set up the HD in the first place.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 7:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 7:33 AM

If the drive is formatted a NTFS which a MS Windows format - it would be good idea to use the most up to date version of the Software that can Read and Write to an NTFS drive.

Though it puzzles me that Time Machine Backup can even write, let alone to see the NTFS Drive as a possible destination to a TM Backup Drive

Then there is the issue of " my MacBook (Monterey 12.3.1) - which needs to be updated to the current version 12.6.1

Also HUBs have been an issue especially since Monterey and the functional of Powered or USB Power Hubs are very dependent on the Chip Set in the Hub

Suggest connecting the drive Directly to the machine and see if it works or works better

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2022 7:33 AM in response to billforeman

If the drive is formatted a NTFS which a MS Windows format - it would be good idea to use the most up to date version of the Software that can Read and Write to an NTFS drive.

Though it puzzles me that Time Machine Backup can even write, let alone to see the NTFS Drive as a possible destination to a TM Backup Drive

Then there is the issue of " my MacBook (Monterey 12.3.1) - which needs to be updated to the current version 12.6.1

Also HUBs have been an issue especially since Monterey and the functional of Powered or USB Power Hubs are very dependent on the Chip Set in the Hub

Suggest connecting the drive Directly to the machine and see if it works or works better

Dec 5, 2022 9:08 AM in response to PRP_53

Well, I don't actually remember how I got the drive to work in the first place. I have the .dmg file for NTFS for Mac on my computer, but it's possible I didn't actually use that to set it up way back then. Since I only see the .dmg file and not the actual program, I may not have.

I have read about Hub issues, but the Hub works for a USB thumbdrive as I said. If I don't use the Hub, I need to try a USBa to USBc cable? I'm not aware of a cable that directly connects from the MacBook to the external HD input.

Dec 6, 2022 2:43 AM in response to billforeman

Sometimes, user may encounter such issues where the Time Machine is not working after updating the macOS. To fix the issue, you can try the below fixes:

1. Restart your Mac

2. Check the latest macOS update

3. Try to restart time machine backup

4. Run First Aid utility

5. Delete the backup disk

Hope this will help!

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Dec 7, 2022 8:23 PM in response to allen_31

Upgrading to 12.6 didn't help and an extensive search of similar discussions all over the internet suggests that the problem isn't solved by upgrading to Ventura either.

BUT! Following P. Philips' advice about Hubs did result in a solution! I bought a Micro B (the kind with both the "little" and "bigger" sides of the Micro B male part) to USB C Thunderbolt connector and it immediately recognized my Seagate HD and starting Time Machine back-up automatically.

Now, I happened to notice that USB thumbdrives were also having trouble being detected and were also ejecting themselves through the Hub. So, I have some USB 3.0 to Thunderbolt connectors on the way and will see if helps that problem.

Bottom line is this appears to be a Monterey/Ventura -- Hub compatability issue that was solved with new $9 cable!

Dec 7, 2022 8:24 PM in response to PRP_53

Upgrading to 12.6 didn't help and an extensive search of similar discussions all over the internet suggests that the problem isn't solved by upgrading to Ventura either.

BUT! Following your advice about Hubs did result in a solution! I bought a Micro B (the kind with both the "little" and "bigger" sides of the Micro B male part) to USB C Thunderbolt connector and it immediately recognized my Seagate HD and starting Time Machine back-up automatically.

Now, I happened to notice that USB thumbdrives were also having trouble being detected and were also ejecting themselves through the Hub. So, I have some USB 3.0 to Thunderbolt connectors on the way and will see if helps that problem.

Bottom line is this appears to be a Monterey/Ventura -- Hub compatability issue that was solved with new $9 cable!

Seagate External HD not recognized on Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.