Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer shutdown during imovie creation

I created an imvii and want to export an mp4 file. After a few minutes my iMac shuts down with an error message.

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 11:43 AM

Hi Rich,

I think it's the size of the movie which is too big. So it runs a few minutes and then the screen turns black and it say in several languages that the shutdown was caused because of an error and then the iMac restarts.

I cut the video into three pieces and then it worked. afterwards I imported the three MP4 files and created the final movie, which finally worked well. The MP4 file has now 2GB!!

My suspect is that the memory of my iMac cannot work with such big files an swapping to the cloud also doesn't work, but I am no expert in this.

Thanks Wolfgang

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2022 11:43 AM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich,

I think it's the size of the movie which is too big. So it runs a few minutes and then the screen turns black and it say in several languages that the shutdown was caused because of an error and then the iMac restarts.

I cut the video into three pieces and then it worked. afterwards I imported the three MP4 files and created the final movie, which finally worked well. The MP4 file has now 2GB!!

My suspect is that the memory of my iMac cannot work with such big files an swapping to the cloud also doesn't work, but I am no expert in this.

Thanks Wolfgang

Computer shutdown during imovie creation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.