Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two Step Authentication method for Apple ID no longer works.

My nonagenarian father is trying to figure out his iPhone and his computer, (it's a constant process) and has an Apple ID to connect to all his info and download apps, etc.

However, the two-step authentication number he used was for a land line to his old home.

That phone number is no longer available, and he can no longer log into to his Apple ID.

What are his options? How can he change the two-step number?

Thanks.

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 11:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 11:44 AM

Hi Paul Trautwein,

You can look into adding more ways to get a code such as multiple telephone numbers where you can receive a text or a phone call. The document Check your Apple ID device list to find where you're signed in - Apple Support tells you how to do this.

If you had set up an Account Recovery Contact ( Set up an account recovery contact - Apple Support ) you can get a code that way.

If you can’t sign in, access a trusted device, reset your password, or receive verification codes, you can request account recovery to regain access to your account. This article explains how to recover your Apple ID after a waiting period when you can’t reset your password - How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2022 11:44 AM in response to Paul Trautwein1

Hi Paul Trautwein,

You can look into adding more ways to get a code such as multiple telephone numbers where you can receive a text or a phone call. The document Check your Apple ID device list to find where you're signed in - Apple Support tells you how to do this.

If you had set up an Account Recovery Contact ( Set up an account recovery contact - Apple Support ) you can get a code that way.

If you can’t sign in, access a trusted device, reset your password, or receive verification codes, you can request account recovery to regain access to your account. This article explains how to recover your Apple ID after a waiting period when you can’t reset your password - How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password - Apple Support

Dec 11, 2022 1:42 PM in response to Limnos

Thanks for the response. None of those options are working for us. The iforgot.apple.com address give me errors whenever I try to enter his apple ID email address. And when I look it up, it doesn't recognize his email at all. We may need to create a brand new ID for him.

(I am trying to troubleshoot this over the phone from opposite ends of the US - with a person who is tech challenged - it's difficult)

He may have to get it to an Apple store to see if they can help him in person.

Thanks for your help.

Two Step Authentication method for Apple ID no longer works.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.