Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone storage v iCloud storage

I have sufficient iCloud space, but optimising photos and backing up messages to iCloud is not removing them from my iPhone. Can anyone explain how I can "push" this data into iCloud? I've updated the ios.

iPhone 13

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 5:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 5:48 PM

iCloud is a syncing service, not an archiving service. iCloud and your iPhone will ALWAYS have exactly the same content so it can be synced to other devices sharing iCloud and can be used to restore a phone that has been erased. Thus, you cannot “back up” messages to iCloud, you can only sync them, and deleting them either will deleted them from other devices.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2022 5:48 PM in response to Sezj

iCloud is a syncing service, not an archiving service. iCloud and your iPhone will ALWAYS have exactly the same content so it can be synced to other devices sharing iCloud and can be used to restore a phone that has been erased. Thus, you cannot “back up” messages to iCloud, you can only sync them, and deleting them either will deleted them from other devices.

iPhone storage v iCloud storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.