You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phishing email

Sorry in advance as I write in details so it’s become long story.

I have received this mail recently from ‘member_services@outlook.com’ and I have clicked on verify your account. It’s happens same time when I was trying to send mail and can’t; as a pop up notification shows that “my account has been suspended” so I was confused and thought this mail comes from Microsoft. In the pop up also have an option “support” which open a site on safari. But when I click that verify account from mail it’s redirected to a *Microsoft site, it’s look like original and asked for password. After enter password Authenticator app try to verify, as my outlook account was linked to Microsoft Authenticator app also in same device. Then it ask my phone number to check my identity, when I entered my local number no message come, then I go back to app and try log in again, (it’s takes time because it was asking for app update), after use my another number that was belongs to my iPhone device, *and a 4 digit access code I have received from Microsoft in same message thread, normally all Microsoft verification codes I received in this thread before! Then it shows verify complete and ask to continue. I tried to send mail but same notification popped up. So I search about that mail address online and found that it’s may be a scam! I removed that outlook account from outlook app, open Authenticator app using Face ID and change that outlook account password, set 2-way verification and codes. Also restart the device and use browser to check that account and mail, found normal. So login using outlook mail again with new password and this time I was able to send the mail.

So, considering above story (and *) do I need to take anymore action after this?

Or do I need to make change with my Apple ID and more?

Or do I need to run a factory reset for my iPhone? It’s nearly one day over and Still I didn’t see any suspicious activity in my phone. (like unknown app, incoming/outgoing fake mails from iCloud and outlook mail, strange notification or pop up, unknown browsing history),

currently my iOS version is 15.7 and deciding to upgrade to 16.0.

Please advice if I really need to do take further action or need a factory reset for my iPhone or not, thanks in advance

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 10:24 PM

2 replies

Dec 6, 2022 8:10 AM in response to CkSi11

Hi CkSi11,

That email appears to be coming from Microsoft and referring to an account you have on Outlook. I am not clear that that has anything to do with Apple or the iPhone you are using, other than I am guessing you are using the Mail app on the iPhone to send email. Unless it's an issue with the Mail app interfacing with Outlook (and I do that and have never seen that message) then it seems that something is happening with your Outlook account itself.

Changing your Apple ID will not help with this. Resetting your phone is extremely unlikely to help with this. You need to first determine if you have indeed been sending lots of emails and triggering Outlooks spam detectors, or doing anything else like that. Then too there is a possibility that somebody is logging into your Outlook account using a web browser and using it. To deal with that you really need to do things such as change your Outlook password and perhaps interface with Outlook Support for more assistance.

Good luck!

Phishing email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.