Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pay on Watch S8 Failure to Open

Apple Pay on my watch works in the first shop I go into (dbl press side button on Watch) and then for successive shops, it does not work. What I mean by not working is: Dbl pressing the side button causes the watch face to be replaced momentarily by app view (list view in my case) and then it bounces back to the watch face. Repeated attempts to get into Apple Pay mode by dbl pressing the side button cause the same 'bouncing' behaviour: watch face->app view->watch face, rather than watch face->apple pay. Some time later, eg, 20-30 min, dbl pressing the side button opens Apple Pay again.

Attempts to fix the problem have included: restarting the watch, unpairing (ie, erasing the watch) and re-pairing, calling Apple Support multiple times all to no avail. Does anyone know what the resolution is? Apple Pay on my iPhone 11Pro works fine.

Apple Watch Series 8, watchOS 9

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 4:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2022 8:16 AM

Hello richardw1224,

Be sure to check for any available updates for iOS and watchOS on the companion iPhone and the Apple Watch. This will help ensure they're using the latest available improvements:

Update your Apple Watch

Or you can update your Apple Watch with your iPhone manually:
1. On your iPhone, open the Apple Watch app, then tap the My Watch tab. 
2. Tap General > Software Update.

3. Download the update. If asked for your iPhone passcode or Apple Watch passcode, enter it. 
4. Wait for the progress wheel to appear on your Apple Watch. It could take from several minutes to an hour for the update to complete. 

Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

It may also help to try adjusting the side button's click speed at the following spot: Watch app (on the iPhone) > Accessibility > Side Button Click Speed > and set it to Slowest.

Cheers.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2022 8:16 AM in response to richardw1224

Hello richardw1224,

Be sure to check for any available updates for iOS and watchOS on the companion iPhone and the Apple Watch. This will help ensure they're using the latest available improvements:

Update your Apple Watch

Or you can update your Apple Watch with your iPhone manually:
1. On your iPhone, open the Apple Watch app, then tap the My Watch tab. 
2. Tap General > Software Update.

3. Download the update. If asked for your iPhone passcode or Apple Watch passcode, enter it. 
4. Wait for the progress wheel to appear on your Apple Watch. It could take from several minutes to an hour for the update to complete. 

Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

It may also help to try adjusting the side button's click speed at the following spot: Watch app (on the iPhone) > Accessibility > Side Button Click Speed > and set it to Slowest.

Cheers.

Dec 8, 2022 10:21 AM in response to Eric_G1

Thank you Eric_G1 very much! I had written a comprehensive reply and hadn't realised one can't reply and post to two responses in the same iteration. Basically what I wrote is that after a few more working/not working iterations, I had begun to suspect the problem might be to do with me and my clicking. So thank you for confirming that this ls likely to be the issue. I am right-handed and am wearing the Apple Watch on my right wrist (with face and buttons orientation appropriately modified) because I can't bear to stop wearing my mechanical watch; but because I am so relatively uncoordinated with my left hand perhaps it would also be helpful to change the wrists on which I am wearing my watches. The OS updates had already been done.

Apple Pay on Watch S8 Failure to Open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.