You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can iMovie Libraries be safely stored on iCloud Drive

So, I'm trying to finally make some sense of my iMovie Libraries. I'm also trying to organize them (see previous question) and favorite them successfully and just emerge with something that makes sense and is not unorganized chaos.

But I've got three laptops and a bunch of legacy iMovie Libraries. One is running Mojave (I cannot upgrade because I need it for 32-bit VST/AU plugins and for 32-bit music apps), the others are running macOS Ventura and macOS Monterey.

Would the best solution be to store the iMovie Libraries generated with all of these devices, on iCloud Drive, so that they'd be easily accessible to me on all devices?

Will I run into compatibility issues between Mojave / Monterey / Ventura? I'd prefer to continue my work on all devices, since they all have different files and I cannot sync them easily.

In fact, I wish there was an easier way of sorting and organizing files, something more Apple-like, because my files are all over the place on USB-sticks, external harddrives, SD-cards, iCloud Drive and elsewhere.

So just the basic question is, are iMovie Libraries safe on iCloud Drive? Or will they be unusable after saving them to iCloud Drive - i.e. do I risk dataloss?

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 8:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 10:00 AM

Hi, esaruoho,

Unfortunately iMovie libraries cannot be stored in the cloud. You can store your library on an external storage device such as a USB drive or Thunderbolt drive formatted as APFS or Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Apple doesn’t recommend storing iMovie libraries on storage devices like SD cards, USB flash drives, or drives shared on a network. You can’t store your library on a storage device used for Time Machine backups.

Here's an Apple support link that discusses the issue:

Move your iMovie for Mac library - Apple Support

As for compatibility, when you open iMovie in a newer version of iMovie the iMovie library will get updated so that it will no longer open with the older iMovie version. I'm not entirely sure about 32 bit vs. 64 bit compatibilities because haven't tested that, so reluctant to advise. I think the safest bet is not to try to coordinate the libraries and, in any event, back up your 3 libraries on an external drive to preserve their integrity.

This might be a good question to pose to the techs at Apple Support before doing anything with the libraries.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 6, 2022 10:00 AM in response to esaruoho

Hi, esaruoho,

Unfortunately iMovie libraries cannot be stored in the cloud. You can store your library on an external storage device such as a USB drive or Thunderbolt drive formatted as APFS or Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Apple doesn’t recommend storing iMovie libraries on storage devices like SD cards, USB flash drives, or drives shared on a network. You can’t store your library on a storage device used for Time Machine backups.

Here's an Apple support link that discusses the issue:

Move your iMovie for Mac library - Apple Support

As for compatibility, when you open iMovie in a newer version of iMovie the iMovie library will get updated so that it will no longer open with the older iMovie version. I'm not entirely sure about 32 bit vs. 64 bit compatibilities because haven't tested that, so reluctant to advise. I think the safest bet is not to try to coordinate the libraries and, in any event, back up your 3 libraries on an external drive to preserve their integrity.

This might be a good question to pose to the techs at Apple Support before doing anything with the libraries.

-- Rich

Can iMovie Libraries be safely stored on iCloud Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.