Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

electrical details of apple watch charging

What wireless chargers work with Apple watch series 8. By work I mean I want to fast charge. the apple website indicates a third party 5W charger will fast charge an apple watch. A 5W charger is not a fast charger (1A at 5V). Is the fast charge on an apple watch limited to 1A max current and 5V charging voltage? Also will the mag safe charger I bought for my iphone 13 from the apple web site work for the series 8 watch? the Magnet surface area seems a little big??

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 9:12 PM

Yes you are not helpful, though I understand you are trying to be. The watch has a 282mAHr battery in it. There no possible way you need Fast Charging (or a 20 watt charger) for that matter for a battery that small if you are charging it to 80 percent in 45 minutes. A 5V 1 A regular charger has plenty of juice to charge it at that rate and supply the rest of the watch power simultaneously.

You are the one who does not understand what USB C quick charge brick is. It simply puts out a voltage at max current of 3A for USB C connector or 2A for a USB A connector. Through the PD protocol the device being charged commands the brick to the appropriate voltage to boost the charging power watts. But none of this is required for the watch since the base default USB voltage of 5V is plenty sufficient to charge its 282mAHr battery to 80 percent in 45 minutes with way less than the maximum current available with the USB C connector.

Apple is calling out specs that clearly say it only requires exactly what I described here which is a 5V 1 A charger. Why they call out PD is one question which you cannot answer and for which I have no idea. It's simply not required. Unless they are using the lack of PD protocol to disqualify old chargers from working. But that would be pretty disingenuous so I doubt they would do that just to be mean to customers. The other item which is not present on the Apple web site is how do regular charging not fast charging. Funny why there is no information on this. USB charging is supposed to be backwards compatible within the limitations of the source (charging brick) having enough current capability to support the battery charging and simultaneous operation of the device.

This really looks like a marketing mess by apple...stop shipping chargers, then only supply enough information on the chargers so that people are forced to purchase new and more expensive chargers. You're advice is terrible since you don't know what you are really talking about and only are trying to amplify apples voice of 'buy something you don't really need because we say it will work and makes us look like we're giving you a leading edge feature of fast charging'. But the reality is that the minimum requirements are being withheld by apple to make them look good, and you are not providing them because you have no idea. I'll bet you dont even own an apple watch nor have you ever plugged it into a 5V 1A non PD charger.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2022 9:12 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Yes you are not helpful, though I understand you are trying to be. The watch has a 282mAHr battery in it. There no possible way you need Fast Charging (or a 20 watt charger) for that matter for a battery that small if you are charging it to 80 percent in 45 minutes. A 5V 1 A regular charger has plenty of juice to charge it at that rate and supply the rest of the watch power simultaneously.

You are the one who does not understand what USB C quick charge brick is. It simply puts out a voltage at max current of 3A for USB C connector or 2A for a USB A connector. Through the PD protocol the device being charged commands the brick to the appropriate voltage to boost the charging power watts. But none of this is required for the watch since the base default USB voltage of 5V is plenty sufficient to charge its 282mAHr battery to 80 percent in 45 minutes with way less than the maximum current available with the USB C connector.

Apple is calling out specs that clearly say it only requires exactly what I described here which is a 5V 1 A charger. Why they call out PD is one question which you cannot answer and for which I have no idea. It's simply not required. Unless they are using the lack of PD protocol to disqualify old chargers from working. But that would be pretty disingenuous so I doubt they would do that just to be mean to customers. The other item which is not present on the Apple web site is how do regular charging not fast charging. Funny why there is no information on this. USB charging is supposed to be backwards compatible within the limitations of the source (charging brick) having enough current capability to support the battery charging and simultaneous operation of the device.

This really looks like a marketing mess by apple...stop shipping chargers, then only supply enough information on the chargers so that people are forced to purchase new and more expensive chargers. You're advice is terrible since you don't know what you are really talking about and only are trying to amplify apples voice of 'buy something you don't really need because we say it will work and makes us look like we're giving you a leading edge feature of fast charging'. But the reality is that the minimum requirements are being withheld by apple to make them look good, and you are not providing them because you have no idea. I'll bet you dont even own an apple watch nor have you ever plugged it into a 5V 1A non PD charger.

Dec 6, 2022 8:47 PM in response to JimMachiorletti

Again, you seem to not understand what a PD charging brick is. I do know what I'm talking about. But you don't.

If it's a Christmas present and you want the recipient to be able to fast charge the watch, simply buy a 20W USB Charger, from either Apple, BestBuy, Staples or even Amazon. Problem solved. It will fast charge the watch, using the supplied charger with the watch.

And you are NOT speaking with Apple, nor do I work for Apple Customer Service. You again, don't understand that this is a user to user only forum and no one from Apple is here, nor will anyone from Apple respond to you.

But you are making this harder than it needs to be.

Dec 7, 2022 7:29 AM in response to JimMachiorletti

I have owned Apple Watch 3, 4, 6, 7 and now Apple Watch Ultra. Not that I need to prove anything to you to begin with. Until Apple Watch 7, Fast Charging wasn't possible. So, you'd be wrong to suggest I've never used a 5V 1A charger on an Apple Watch. That was really all we had until the Series 7.

Again, feel free to use such a charger on a Series 8. It WON'T fast charge. But Since you seem to know it all, I'll leave you to it.

Dec 6, 2022 4:23 PM in response to JimMachiorletti

The Apple site most definitely does NOT suggest a 5W charger will fast charge an Apple Watch. It will charge one, but slowly. Apple says pretty clearly for fast charging you need at least an 18W USB C charger.

Read this Apple Support Article --> About fast charge on Apple Watch - Apple Support

No, a MagSafe Charger you bought for your iPhone 13 will NOT charge an Apple Watch. While Apple Watch is in essence Qi charging, it is different and requires a charger specifically designed for Apple Watch.

Dec 6, 2022 4:56 PM in response to lobsterghost1

The web site you pointed clearly states a 5W charger will fast charge and that a standard magnetic charger will work. Here's the text excerpt from the web site address you pointed me to:

"Fast charging requires an Apple USB-C Magnetic Fast Charging Cable. This cable has aluminum around the magnetic charger and a USB-C connector.

You also need one of these power adapters:

• Apple 18W, 20W, 29W, 30W, 61W, 87W, or 96W USB-C Power Adapter
  • A comparable third-party USB-C power adapter that supports USB Power Delivery (USB-PD) of 5W or greater"

Are you disputing the Apple web site data, or did you just not read it, or are you just someone making comments without any knowledge?? I am questioning the web site information specifically. The web site is very clear. Is it wrong? I'm not sure I can trust you. Do you have technical credentials on electronics power management?

Dec 6, 2022 5:17 PM in response to JimMachiorletti

No, I'm not disputing the Apple Web Site. They are NOT referring to the average 5W charging brick. They are referring the USB-PD (Power delivery), which is not the same as an old fashioned 5W brick.

Feel free to plug your Apple Watch charger into a standard 5W brick and you won't get fast charging.

Honestly, the simplest thing to do is buy yourself a 20W USB C charging brick and use the charging cable included with the watch. Apple Sells one for $20. You can buy the Anker Nano 20W USB C brick for less money at a BestBuy Store or from Amazon.

Dec 6, 2022 7:08 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Yeah I don't know. It really seems to me the PD negotiates voltage not current. the default and minimum of PD is 5V so if you use a 5V 1A non-PD brick it will charge at 5V 1A. Apple seems to be calling this a Fast Charge Capable device, but I really dont think it is since Fast Charging is defined as using one of the higher charging voltages not the default 5V. I don't think you know what you are talking about. Also you didnt answer why the web site says it will work with standard apple magnetic cable. But please don't since I don't trust your advice. Please can someone from apple resolve this so we know the proper ways to charge the series 8 watch. You're customer support is not available to me since I just purchased the watch today and haven't received it in the mail yet. It's a Christmas present and I want the proper charging capability present on Christmas day. Currently you don't provide charging components, and your web site seems messed up. Thanks.

electrical details of apple watch charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.