Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't load iTunes Library from Mojave into Music app in Monterey

I have my 370gb iTunes Library on an external hard drive which was working fine with iTunes in Mojave. I reluctantly upgraded my iMac to Monterey and am unable to get the iTunes library to load in the Music app. I can only see the music I purchased with iTunes.

I tried loading the library by opening the Music app while holding down Option and Shift. When prompted to choose a library to load I navigated to my external hard drive and chose the .itl file. From there the Music app just continues to say "loading..." but never actually loads anything. I left the computer on for more than 24 hours (disabled sleep) and still nothing happened. When prompted where to save the new library (Music Library.musiclibrary) I've tried saving on the external hard drive and also on the iMac hard drive. Both have yielded the same results (i.e. perpetual "loading...").

I'm looking to not only have my music loaded but my playlists too. Thank you in advance for any help.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 7:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2022 8:27 AM

There seems to be a particular issue with Monterey 12.6 not converting .itl files correctly. Workarounds are to import an XML version of the library (which resets date added), import the media only (losing ratings, playlists, playcounts, date added, etc.) or perform the library conversion using Catalina or Big Sur (media not required). If you don't have access to a suitable machine, or a helpful friend, then I'm happy to volunteer. I've converted a number of libraries for other users via an exchange of emails. You send me your .itl file, or link to a copy of it in iCloud Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, etc. I will use Catalina to generate a .musiclibrary version and post a link back to you. You'll find my email address in my profile here.

tt2

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2022 8:27 AM in response to TheOtherAntidote

There seems to be a particular issue with Monterey 12.6 not converting .itl files correctly. Workarounds are to import an XML version of the library (which resets date added), import the media only (losing ratings, playlists, playcounts, date added, etc.) or perform the library conversion using Catalina or Big Sur (media not required). If you don't have access to a suitable machine, or a helpful friend, then I'm happy to volunteer. I've converted a number of libraries for other users via an exchange of emails. You send me your .itl file, or link to a copy of it in iCloud Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, etc. I will use Catalina to generate a .musiclibrary version and post a link back to you. You'll find my email address in my profile here.

tt2

Dec 12, 2022 7:02 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you so much for your reply. Unfortunately I heavily rely on the 'date added' field so can't use any of the workarounds you outlined. And I don't have an extra machine with Catalina or Big Sur. I had wanted to incrementally work my way up through the operating systems on this machine but I called Apple and they wouldn't give me any way to go to anything other than Monterey or Ventura. And for some reason Apple Support doesn't know of this issue with 12.6 for some reason, or at least none of the representatives I've spoken to do. And I appreciate your offer to convert my library but ultimately don't feel comfortable with that option. It's nothing personal and I hope you are not offended.

I'm not ready to go to Ventura (because I know that will likely create even more issues) but do you know if this .itl conversion issue is resolved there?

Thank you again!

Dec 12, 2022 8:53 AM in response to TheOtherAntidote

Do you have a friend running Catalina or Big Sur you can call on? As I say all they need is the .itl file and about a minute to open it. Passing the files back and forth is the time consuming part. Or go all in a switch up to Ventura. The issue is resolved (never occurred?) there.

My approach to upgrading OS X/mac has been to prepare a clean install of each successive version in a separate partition, then move in my data when I'm happy with it. This also makes it easy to fall back if something doesn't work in the new release.

tt2

Dec 18, 2022 7:02 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks again for your help turingtest2! I eventually tracked someone down with Monterey 12.3.1 and the issue was solved in about 3.5 seconds. Opened the .itl file and created the .musiclibrary file on my external drive using their machine. Worked flawlessly when I got home and opened the .musiclibrary file on my iMac.

Not sure why this issue is not on the radar of Apple Support but hopefully after my long rapport back and forth with them they are now in a better position to help others who call in. Or hopefully they stumble across this thread first.

Can't load iTunes Library from Mojave into Music app in Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.