Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac will NOT recognise iPhone 6S !?

Concerns: "If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone or iPad".

I checked all steps on this webpage, but still my iMac (late 2013, macOS Catalina 10.15.7) will not recognize my iPhone6S (OS 15.7.1).

When directly connecting with a USB cable, the Photo app immediately starts up and after some time it (sometimes!) shows all photos on my iPhone, so there must be some occasional or temporary connection between both.

My iPhone shows in the Music App, but when selecting the iPhone, it shows contents but will not properlly sync. Last time it synced, a number of my songs will no longer play (due to "content not available in your country", which is BS of course because they all played fine during the last years!

The iPhone however does not show in Finder windows.

I can allso find the iMac on my iPhone if I want to airdrop a picture from my iPhone, but it takes a very long time before it actually drops.

iMac 21.5″, 10.15

Posted on Dec 7, 2022 7:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2022 11:45 AM

Hi stef3150,

If you're not seeing the iPhone in the Finder, ensure that iOS devices is turned on to show in Finder as outlined here: If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

" From the menu bar in the Finder, choose Finder > Settings (or Preferences). Click Sidebar at the top of the settings window, then make sure that “CDs, DVDs and iOS Devices” is selected. If you don't see a sidebar in Finder windows, choose View > Show Sidebar from the menu bar, or press Control-Command-S."

Another option we can recommend is trying a different Lightning cable. If photos only opens sometimes, it could be indicative of a poor connection, which likely means a failing cable.

Let us know if you're able to see and sync your iPhone after that.

Cheers!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2022 11:45 AM in response to stef3150

Hi stef3150,

If you're not seeing the iPhone in the Finder, ensure that iOS devices is turned on to show in Finder as outlined here: If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

" From the menu bar in the Finder, choose Finder > Settings (or Preferences). Click Sidebar at the top of the settings window, then make sure that “CDs, DVDs and iOS Devices” is selected. If you don't see a sidebar in Finder windows, choose View > Show Sidebar from the menu bar, or press Control-Command-S."

Another option we can recommend is trying a different Lightning cable. If photos only opens sometimes, it could be indicative of a poor connection, which likely means a failing cable.

Let us know if you're able to see and sync your iPhone after that.

Cheers!

Dec 13, 2022 2:00 AM in response to DerekM87

Hi Derek,

thanks a lot for your suggestion! I changed the Finder settings as you mentioned and after a relaunch of Finder, my iPhone was indeed visible. I could execute a good sync and now also all my blocked out ("not available in your region or country") songs are playing again on my iPhone.

I cannot imagine why I could not find this rather simple solution on the many Apple Support webpages ... ?!

Great help, Thanks again!

Stef

iMac will NOT recognise iPhone 6S !?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.