Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ventura Spotlight Dictionary

Since I upgraded to Ventura, when I open Dictionary it no longer opens in a new window with a menu bar. I used this option frequently for a quick reference in writing as it provided quick access to the thesaurus. I can launch Dictionary from Launchpad but no longer from Spotlight. I guess I can add it from my dock but the dock is getting cluttered.

This is what I would get before Ventura:

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Dec 7, 2022 9:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2022 9:56 AM

The following Spotlight syntax will launch the Dictionary application on Ventura when you press return on the result:

name:dict

I also use the Dictionary app in my Dock, and keep only the app icons in the Dock that I regularly use.

If you have your trackpad configured for three-finger tap, you can place the cursor over a word you wish to lookup in the Dictionary application, tap three fingers concurrently on the trackpad, and a panel will open with your Dictionary toolbar results in top down order. Same deal with positioning the cursor over a word and pressing control+cmd+d.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2022 9:56 AM in response to DesertHorses

The following Spotlight syntax will launch the Dictionary application on Ventura when you press return on the result:

name:dict

I also use the Dictionary app in my Dock, and keep only the app icons in the Dock that I regularly use.

If you have your trackpad configured for three-finger tap, you can place the cursor over a word you wish to lookup in the Dictionary application, tap three fingers concurrently on the trackpad, and a panel will open with your Dictionary toolbar results in top down order. Same deal with positioning the cursor over a word and pressing control+cmd+d.

Ventura Spotlight Dictionary

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.