Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error Message in First Aid

My 2019 MacBook Air was starting to run very slow and on several occasions would not shut down properly. This may have had something to do with MS Office OneDrive since that was noted in the message I received. For this issue, I have had to use Force Quit several times to shut down. I removed OneDrive and will reinstall, but prior to that I ran First Aid and received this:

Checking volume /dev/rdisk1s2.

Checking the APFS volume superblock.

Checking the object map.

Checking the snapshot metadata tree.

Checking the snapshot metadata.

Checking the document ID tree.

Checking the fsroot tree.

warning: inode (id 6115728): dir-stats key xf does not exist, despite internal_flags (0x8202)

This warning continued for the next 49 lines with only the id changing. At the end it shows:

The volume /dev/rdisk1s2 was found to be corrupt and needs to be repaired.

What exactly is the error? Is it related to the Ventura OS? How do I "repair" this?

Thanks for any help

Gary

Posted on Dec 7, 2022 12:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2022 5:18 PM

BACKUP YOUR DATA ASAP!

If it's not the OneDrive issue then it means your internal SSD has a fault and is dying. Very slow performance is a sign of a failing disk. Run FirstAID multiple times. Try creating a macOS Boot Disk and booting externally then running First AID on the Internal disk. This will ensure the disk is not in use.

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

You are not going to install Ventura from the bootable USB drive. But you can access the Utilities menu and Disk Utility to scan the internal disk once booted from the USB drive. This has a better chance of repairing things as the internal disk is not in use.

On an Intel T2 equipped Mac (2019 MacBook Air) you need to boot into Recovery Mode and go to the Utilities menu and Startup Security and allow USB Booting. Then shutdown and hold the Option key when booting. That will let you select the boot drive you created from the Apple Support document listed above.

You might have to rely on the backup after using Internet Recovery to reset your Mac to factory. If the disk has a bad SSD then this will likely still show the problem.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2022 5:18 PM in response to torchlite

BACKUP YOUR DATA ASAP!

If it's not the OneDrive issue then it means your internal SSD has a fault and is dying. Very slow performance is a sign of a failing disk. Run FirstAID multiple times. Try creating a macOS Boot Disk and booting externally then running First AID on the Internal disk. This will ensure the disk is not in use.

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

You are not going to install Ventura from the bootable USB drive. But you can access the Utilities menu and Disk Utility to scan the internal disk once booted from the USB drive. This has a better chance of repairing things as the internal disk is not in use.

On an Intel T2 equipped Mac (2019 MacBook Air) you need to boot into Recovery Mode and go to the Utilities menu and Startup Security and allow USB Booting. Then shutdown and hold the Option key when booting. That will let you select the boot drive you created from the Apple Support document listed above.

You might have to rely on the backup after using Internet Recovery to reset your Mac to factory. If the disk has a bad SSD then this will likely still show the problem.

Error Message in First Aid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.