You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music library search results order by date of release

Is there a way to have the search results in my iTunes library organised by date of release?

I have a large library of music and the view set up by release date. But, when I type artist name in a search box, my library view results are listed in alphabetical order.

There is another question related to that. The situation is that because of the amount of music I hold in my Music library, every time I scroll down past letter P to manually get to the artist and open any album, when I go back, it always takes me back to P. No matter if I am on S, R or Z, the back button always takes me back to P which is supper annoying.

Therefore, to avoid this, if I want to stay on, let's say, Roisin Murphy, I need to type her name in the search box but then the results are shown in alphabetical order which throws me off because I often go by visual memory and can't always remember what the track is called.

It would be awesome if Apple sorted the back button so it would stay in where the scroll was.

I hope that make sense.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 8, 2022 6:15 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2022 2:17 PM

"Search box," ha, ha, that is only for beginners. If you want to search within your library, use View > Show Filter Field. The search results will be in the same order they were in the full view. And that includes Róisín. By the way, I assume you are in Songs view and have it sorted to your liking.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 8, 2022 2:17 PM in response to FrankLight

"Search box," ha, ha, that is only for beginners. If you want to search within your library, use View > Show Filter Field. The search results will be in the same order they were in the full view. And that includes Róisín. By the way, I assume you are in Songs view and have it sorted to your liking.

Music library search results order by date of release

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.