Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Live captions (beta) disappear when screen sharing

I have been enjoying the new live captions (beta) accessibility on my Mac, I am so happy apple has begun to develop this product. I am deaf and work remotely, this has allowed me to add captions to anything that's coming through the computer speakers and is so much better than the captions provided within meeting apps because I don't have to see whatever I say captioned.

My only problem is when sharing my screen during a meeting. When I share my screen the "grey box" that captions typically appear in seems to have a security feature that blacks it out so I cannot read the captions of what people say while I'm presenting. When I stop screen share, I am able to scroll up and see what everyone said while I was sharing. I use two monitors and it doesn't matter where I put the caption box - the same issue occurs.

I also noticed that if I take a screen shot of my screen while the captions are going - they're automatically blacked out, which is why I assume it's a security feature (and I understand that and can appreciate it).

However, I hope the team developing this wonderful accessibility feature can figure out a setting that allows the captions to still be visible on a separate screen while screen sharing.

Posted on Dec 8, 2022 7:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2022 9:05 AM

FIXED!!

For anyone else using this feature - the solution lies in the settings of the conferencing app. I'm using zoom so for me it was:

1. Settings
    2. Screen share
    3. Advanced
    4. Screen capture mode

Capture with window filtering 

2 replies

Live captions (beta) disappear when screen sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.