Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I install the newest OS to a brand new MacBook Pro that has an older version and the laptop has never been used

How can you install the latest version of OS on a new MacBook Pro M-1 that has not even been set up yet?

I want to transfer all my data from my old MacBook Pro to the new one so they both need to have the same OS.

Posted on Dec 8, 2022 11:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2022 12:03 PM

A new M1 MacBook Pro, most likely, will come with macOS Monterey installed. If you just got it, it may even have Ventura.

Both laptops do NOT need to have the same version of macOS to transfer the data. However, you may have apps that you are using on the older laptop that may not be supported in a newer version of macOS.

Regardless there are a number of ways to tackle this. One method would be as follows:

1. Make a Time Machine backup of the old laptop.
  2. Run the initial setup process with your new laptop. You then have the option to use Setup Assistant to migrate the Time Machine backup of your old laptop.
  3. Once successfully migrated, you can then go ahead and upgrade macOS on the new laptop.

Ref:

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2022 12:03 PM in response to paulfromtehachapi

A new M1 MacBook Pro, most likely, will come with macOS Monterey installed. If you just got it, it may even have Ventura.

Both laptops do NOT need to have the same version of macOS to transfer the data. However, you may have apps that you are using on the older laptop that may not be supported in a newer version of macOS.

Regardless there are a number of ways to tackle this. One method would be as follows:

1. Make a Time Machine backup of the old laptop.
  2. Run the initial setup process with your new laptop. You then have the option to use Setup Assistant to migrate the Time Machine backup of your old laptop.
  3. Once successfully migrated, you can then go ahead and upgrade macOS on the new laptop.

Ref:

How can I install the newest OS to a brand new MacBook Pro that has an older version and the laptop has never been used

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.