Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

9th Generation iPad losses wifi network when it goes to sleep

About 50% of the time when my wife opens her 9th generation iPad it has lost the WiFi network. She has to toggle the WiFi switch in settings and it recovers. We have 2 iPad Pros, 2 iPhones, and an iPad Air none of which have the same problem. The same issue occurs when we visit of daughter and use her wifi network so i do not believe it is a network issue. Apple scheduled an appointment with the Geek Squad at BestBuy. The device did not lose the network connection the one time it was awoken so the Tech said it was a hardware issue. He recommended since it was less than 4 months old return it to the store for replacement. Target swapped it out for a new 9th generation. Same problem. My wife has followed all the instructions she has found to correct the issue to no avail. Very frustrating to have to toggle a switch almost everytime to use the iPad

iPad 9th generation is not on the drop-down list of devices it is not a 10th generation

iPad (10th gen) WiFi

Posted on Dec 9, 2022 6:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2022 6:25 AM

If the iPad disconnects when idle (sleep/locked) you may need to verify the your WiFi Settings for each of your configured WiFi Networks - ensuring that they are set to Auto Join:

Settings > WiFi > [WiFi Network / SSID] - tap the “i” icon - set Auto-Join to ON

Unless Auto-Join is enabled, your iPad will not automatically reconnect to the WiFi network when resuming from sleep - or when coming into range of your WiFi network.

Auto-Join is enabled/disabled for each configured WiFi network.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2022 6:25 AM in response to tfemaker

If the iPad disconnects when idle (sleep/locked) you may need to verify the your WiFi Settings for each of your configured WiFi Networks - ensuring that they are set to Auto Join:

Settings > WiFi > [WiFi Network / SSID] - tap the “i” icon - set Auto-Join to ON

Unless Auto-Join is enabled, your iPad will not automatically reconnect to the WiFi network when resuming from sleep - or when coming into range of your WiFi network.

Auto-Join is enabled/disabled for each configured WiFi network.

9th Generation iPad losses wifi network when it goes to sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.