Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes "Backup Session Failed" After Switching to Windows 10 computer

I was previously on a Windows 7 computer and and used this to back up all my iOS devices (iPhones, iPads, etc) using iTunes to the local file system.

I recently changed to a fresh install of Windows 10. I now cannot backup any of my iOS devices in iTunes on the new operating system. The device shows up fine but when I click Back Up Now it throws an error message saying "iTunes could not back up the iPad "xxxx" because the backup session failed". Nothing I try fixes this error.

Here are the steps I have taken so far to try and get this working: -

1) Uninstalled iTunes on Windows 10

2) Deleted C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Mobile Sync

3) Deleted C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Preferences

4) Downloaded latest version of iTunes from Apple site and installed it. When I opened it it then prompted to say it needed updating. I let it then update iTunes to absolute latest version.

5) Opened iTunes using Desktop Icon

6) Changed setting in Preferences to stop iPods, iPhones, iPads from synching automatically and closed iTunes.

7) Re-Opened iTunes, this time holding down SHIFT key and then selecting my iTunes library. This successfully loaded all my music, videos etc.

8) Plugged in iPad and told computer to Trust the iPad and told iPad to trust the computer. iPad then shows up successfully.

9) Navigate to iPad and click on Summary tab. Under Backups "This Computer" is selected and the Encrypt Local Backup option is ticked. Note this despite me not entering a password on this operating system. It says "Never backed up to this computer".

10) Click Back Up Now button

11) iTunes throws error saying "iTunes could not back up the iPad "xxxx" because the backup session failed".

12) Tried unselecting Encrypt this back up checkbox and it prompts me for previous encryption password. I enter it but it says this is incorrect, despite this definitely being correct.

If I boot back to Windows 7 I can still back it up the device fine. If I try removing the encryption password in Windows 7 it lets me as I have the password correct.

Other things I have tried to no avail.

• Disabling Antivirus and Firewall protection
  • Removing the files in the C:\Program Data\Apple\lockdown folder
  • Copied across the C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Mobile Sync and C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Preferences from Windows 7 computer. It now showed the date of the previous back up in the Summary screen and also the previous backups now showed up in the preferences. However it gave same error when I tried to hit Back Up Now button.

It is not the cable as this is a brand new cable that works fine in Windows 7

It is not the iOS device as I can back my devices fine in Windows 7 and it is more than one device showing the same error in Windows 10

I have read all the links I can find on google and I am completely fresh out of ideas.

Can someone please help?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Dec 9, 2022 5:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2022 3:41 PM

After days of troubleshooting I eventually found the problem.

The issue was the Windows Firewall had an explicit block on two Apple processes accessing the internet - Mobile Backup, and Mobile Device Helper. This explicit block was still in effect even with the Windows Firewall disabled, which is why my troubleshooting steps had not worked.

The moment I enabled these processes in Windows Firewall to reach the internet, the backups worked fine.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2022 3:41 PM in response to mikeg28806

After days of troubleshooting I eventually found the problem.

The issue was the Windows Firewall had an explicit block on two Apple processes accessing the internet - Mobile Backup, and Mobile Device Helper. This explicit block was still in effect even with the Windows Firewall disabled, which is why my troubleshooting steps had not worked.

The moment I enabled these processes in Windows Firewall to reach the internet, the backups worked fine.

Dec 12, 2022 2:24 PM in response to Gray_TG

Hi there Gray_TG,

If you're unable to complete a backup to your PC, one of the following steps may provide a solution. Test again after each step:

1: Make sure your PC is up to date, and that you have the latest version of iTunes.

2: Restart all of your devices.

3: If you own more than one computer, try to make a backup on your other Mac or PC. Or, use iCloud to back up your device and restore from your iCloud backup.

4: Contact Apple Support.

You can find these steps along with other information you may find helpful, here: If you can't back up your iOS or iPadOS device to a computer or restore it from a backup

Take care!

iTunes "Backup Session Failed" After Switching to Windows 10 computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.