Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re-association of Apple ID

I bought a new MacPro and associated it to my family member’s Apple ID. How can I re-associate my new MacPro to my own Apple ID?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 10, 2022 7:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2022 3:06 PM

Apps and media from Apple are tied to Apple ID. iCloud storage, iCloud files, iCloud keychain passwords, iCloud storage of Safari links, etc., are all tied to the Apple ID.*

Local files are not tied to the Apple ID, though the Mac erase and install reset will also clear those.

Untangling these cases—once content and associations are increasingly merged—is unfortunately tedious, yes.

I’d back up to external storage, using Time Machine or maybe a disk copy, make a second complete backup, wipe and re-install macOS per the previous transfer, and as part of the setup in the new environment, log into your Apple ID, and migrate in your previous login environment from one of the two previous backups as part of the setup; using Setup Assistant.

If you decide to use Migration Assistant to migrate your content after the initial macOS setup, then when creating the first admin user during setup, use a different name and different short name, do not use the same short name that you want to use as your login later. This collision ends badly.

*Any of your data that’s associated with the iCloud storage for other Apple ID will need manual cleanup. I’m hoping that you did not use a different Apple ID iCloud account here for your own stuff, and just used what was already installed on the Mac, so you won’t need to migrate and resolve the iCloud storage and contents associated with two Apple IDs.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2022 3:06 PM in response to Superbs

Apps and media from Apple are tied to Apple ID. iCloud storage, iCloud files, iCloud keychain passwords, iCloud storage of Safari links, etc., are all tied to the Apple ID.*

Local files are not tied to the Apple ID, though the Mac erase and install reset will also clear those.

Untangling these cases—once content and associations are increasingly merged—is unfortunately tedious, yes.

I’d back up to external storage, using Time Machine or maybe a disk copy, make a second complete backup, wipe and re-install macOS per the previous transfer, and as part of the setup in the new environment, log into your Apple ID, and migrate in your previous login environment from one of the two previous backups as part of the setup; using Setup Assistant.

If you decide to use Migration Assistant to migrate your content after the initial macOS setup, then when creating the first admin user during setup, use a different name and different short name, do not use the same short name that you want to use as your login later. This collision ends badly.

*Any of your data that’s associated with the iCloud storage for other Apple ID will need manual cleanup. I’m hoping that you did not use a different Apple ID iCloud account here for your own stuff, and just used what was already installed on the Mac, so you won’t need to migrate and resolve the iCloud storage and contents associated with two Apple IDs.

Dec 13, 2022 7:54 PM in response to Superbs

Superbs wrote:

Thank you for your kind and succinct explanations, suggestions and warnings. I will be careful. I wish Apple made this process safe, secure and simple.

There’s simply no good means to split up the contents of an Apple ID.

As for the Mac, Apple recommends starting over. That’s gotten easier with newer Macs, too.

That’s this: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

But with your own data, where two or more users are sharing the same Apple ID, there’s no automated means to determine the association of people and data, as the mechanism to separate that is the Apple ID.

Again, I’m hoping you didn’t actually share an Apple ID here, and “merely” have an install of macOS and apps associated with a different Apple ID. That’s easier to clean up.

Dec 10, 2022 2:12 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thank you, Mr Hoffman and Nick, for your helpful advice.

The website information such as Domain and Server service providers, contracts and other softwares etc, for business start up, were downloaded under the current family member’s Apple ID.

Would I need to lose all those website links, downloaded files etc in the process of my Apple ID re-association, initializing and factory set up process and need to make new contacts and new payments to set up a new website (s) or would it be better if I continue to use my family member’s Apple ID for the MacPro I am intending to use for my business startup purposes?

Re-association of Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.