Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I gain access to documents on an internal drive when booted from an external drive??

Hi - I have macOS 10.13 running on my MacBookPro. Recently I purchased an external drive and installed macOS 11.7 on it. The external seems to boot and operate fine except that I'm not able to access any of the files on the internal drive. I can see the drive in the sidebar. I can see the Desktop icon but there's a minus sign in a red circle. The error message is basically that I'm not authorized to access the files.

How do I gain access to some documents (not apps or System files) on an internal drive when booted from an external drive??

TIA your response.

j2

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 10, 2022 5:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2022 6:20 PM

Hi Josh,

Do a Get info on the Home folder on that drive, unlock the lock in the Get Info panel. Add you have Read & Write privileges.

Using the tiny gear icon, use the drop down to "Apply to enclosed items...

Similar questions

1 reply

How do I gain access to documents on an internal drive when booted from an external drive??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.