Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Ultra pairing to car

How do I pair my Apple Watch which has its own service to my car Bluetooth

Apple Watch Ultra, watchOS 9

Posted on Dec 10, 2022 5:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2023 10:35 AM

This is really disappointing. I bought an Apple Watch Ultra specifically to be a stand-alone device without needing an iPhone to operate it. I've been able to live with the limited number of apps, but not being able to connect to my car's bluetooth might be a deal breaker. Would it be possible to explain the difference between bluetooth for a car vs. a speaker? Is the hardware even capable or can we expect to see this addressed in an OS update?

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2023 10:35 AM in response to chuckbl

This is really disappointing. I bought an Apple Watch Ultra specifically to be a stand-alone device without needing an iPhone to operate it. I've been able to live with the limited number of apps, but not being able to connect to my car's bluetooth might be a deal breaker. Would it be possible to explain the difference between bluetooth for a car vs. a speaker? Is the hardware even capable or can we expect to see this addressed in an OS update?

Jan 11, 2023 9:13 PM in response to lobsterghost1

I don’t think you’re understanding, the ultra gets it own service I leave my phone at home. I still get service cellular service. It’s got its own number. But you use the same number as you do your phone it’s kind of complicated but that’s how it works. I’m pretty sure there’s not another watch out there that can do that, but I’m not positive. I pay an extra $10 a month to get the service and it works.

Feb 24, 2023 2:39 PM in response to lobsterghost1

I think what gopnik5 is stating, and I agree, is that the Apple Watch with cellular is advertised as having significant standalone capabilities, hence the additional initial + monthly costs. It pairs with any other form of bluetooth speaker. I can take calls, get driving directions and listen to music from a Vizio soundbar (I turned off my phone and I'm doing so at present, just for kicks). Why would it be a stretch to believe the same wouldn't be true of a vehicle sound system? What features can't be done via an Apple watch that would be necessary for a vehicle connection? I can't speak to CarPlay as well, as stock Toyotas specifically can't use it.

The delineation seems arbitrary at best, except to broadly reduce the cellular data usage from the watch.

Dec 13, 2022 9:17 AM in response to Dukecanyon

Hello Dukecanyon,

Apple Watch can only be paired with Bluetooth headphones or speakers: Connect Apple Watch to Bluetooth headphones or speakers - Apple Support

However, you should be able to pair your iPhone to your vehicle using the steps below:

1. Restart your device.
2. Go to Settings > Bluetooth, and turn off Bluetooth. Wait for about 5 seconds, then turn Bluetooth back on.
3. Check the manual that came with your car for more information on how to pair with a Bluetooth device. Most cars require a phone setup on the car display. 
4. If you've connected multiple phones to your car stereo, try renaming your device: Go to Settings > General > About > Name, and type a new name. Then try connecting again.
5. Update your device.
6. Make sure that your stereo is using the latest firmware from the car manufacturer. Check your car's manual for more information.

You can find those details in this resource: How to connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your car - Apple Support

Hopefully that addresses your inquiry.

Take care.

Jan 14, 2023 6:49 AM in response to gopnik5

What I said is exactly true. And yes, you can use the watch when the phone isn't near you if you have cellular service on the phone. But you want to pair the watch with another device - your car system and that is not now, nor has it ever been supported. Your watch works on cellular and you can make and receive phone calls and send and receive messages. But you can't pair the watch with your car, because that isn't supported. You can't pair your watch with your computer, whether its' Windows or Mac. You can't pair your watch with your iPad. You can't pair your watch with a Samsung phone.

There are times I go about without my paired iPhone with me. I'll go in the grocery store without my phone. I'll go for a walk without my phone. I'll go to the movies without my phone. But I always have my phone when I'm driving. I use Apple CarPlay, which requires my phone to be connected to my car.

Jan 11, 2023 10:49 AM in response to dneilsen330

dneilsen330 wrote:

Did you do no research before spending $800 on an Apple Watch Ultra? Apple Watch is not now, nor has it EVER been a standalone device. It has ALWAYS required being paired to iPhone. You can put in a feature request with Apple via this link --> Feedback - Watch - Apple

Apple will not discuss future features being worked on and the for the most part, this is a user to user only forum and as users we have no inside knowledge of what Apple is working on. My guess would be no. Apple Watch will likely ALWAYS need to be paired with iPhone.

One has to assume since you purchased an Apple Watch, you have paired it with your iPhone, correct? Without being paired to an iPhone, the watch can't function. And if you have paired it with your iPhone, I don't quite understand what benefit would be gained if you even could pair the watch to your car?

Jan 12, 2023 5:10 AM in response to Dukecanyon

I completely understand how this works. I've owned just about every Apple Watch since Apple was first introduced. What you didn't take the time to learn is to understand Apple Watch is and always has been a companion device to iPhone, is NOT a standalone device and can't be paired to a car by itself.

This is how Apple engineered it. And I don't believe there is any smart watch which can be standalone and be paired to a car.

Feb 24, 2023 2:53 PM in response to LukePDX

I don't think anyone doesn't understand what gpnik5 is saying. However, Apple didn't design Apple watch to pair with any other device other than iPhone and for listening to music through the watch, Bluetooth headphones and speakers. It doesn't matter what you, me or anyone else expected. It's simply not designed to pair with car infotainment systems.

And since we are not Apple and Apple doesn't participate here, expressing disappointment here, gets you nothing.

Let Apple know by providing feedback here --> Feedback - Watch - Apple

Apple Watch Ultra pairing to car

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.