Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 14 Pro Sound Issue

When iPhone 14 Pro is connected to my stereo system via a 3.5mm adapter to use my stero speakers as the sound output with no headphones connected, the volume is noticeable lower than with my Xs phone. Believe it may be recognizing the input as headphones and that may be why the volume is being restricted even though I have the headphone volume limit turned off and not using headphones. I have tried to change the volume via the control center to no avail - it is turned up all the way. I tried connecting it via blue tooth and the volume is still being restricted. In theory there should be no reason why the volume is being restricted when connected via blue tooth in order to use my phone like an iPod device to play my music without headphones through stereo speakers. I noticed that even in that mode - when connected to blue tooth, the headphone icon shows up in status bar. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

iPhone 14 Pro, 16

Posted on Dec 11, 2022 4:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2022 1:10 PM

Hello tvomb,

If the volume is being limited when your device is connected to your speakers, please check out the details in this link, which may help: Sound and Hearing FAQ

Q. Does the Volume Limit affect listening accessories?
A. The Volume Limit affects earbuds, headphones, and some other accessories that are plugged into the headphone jack, lightening connector, or using a bluetooth connection.

For more information on how to manage audio levels and Headphone Safety features, please check out this link, which may be helpful: Use headphone audio level features on iPhone

Reduce loud headphone sounds in Settings
1. Go to Settings , then tap Sounds & Haptics (iPhone 7 and later) or Sounds (earlier models).
2. Tap Headphone Safety.
3. Turn on Reduce Loud Sounds, then drag the slider.
iPhone analyzes your headphone audio and reduces any sound above the level you set.
The Headphone Safety screen, showing the number of headphone notifications sent in the last 6 months, the button for turning on or off the Reduce Loud Sounds setting, a slider for changing the maximum decibel level, and the selected decibel limit of 85 decibels.
Note: If you set up Screen Time for family members, you can prevent them from changing the Reduce Loud Sounds level. Go to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > Reduce Loud Sounds, then select Don’t Allow.

Thanks!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2022 1:10 PM in response to tvomb

Hello tvomb,

If the volume is being limited when your device is connected to your speakers, please check out the details in this link, which may help: Sound and Hearing FAQ

Q. Does the Volume Limit affect listening accessories?
A. The Volume Limit affects earbuds, headphones, and some other accessories that are plugged into the headphone jack, lightening connector, or using a bluetooth connection.

For more information on how to manage audio levels and Headphone Safety features, please check out this link, which may be helpful: Use headphone audio level features on iPhone

Reduce loud headphone sounds in Settings
1. Go to Settings , then tap Sounds & Haptics (iPhone 7 and later) or Sounds (earlier models).
2. Tap Headphone Safety.
3. Turn on Reduce Loud Sounds, then drag the slider.
iPhone analyzes your headphone audio and reduces any sound above the level you set.
The Headphone Safety screen, showing the number of headphone notifications sent in the last 6 months, the button for turning on or off the Reduce Loud Sounds setting, a slider for changing the maximum decibel level, and the selected decibel limit of 85 decibels.
Note: If you set up Screen Time for family members, you can prevent them from changing the Reduce Loud Sounds level. Go to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > Reduce Loud Sounds, then select Don’t Allow.

Thanks!

Dec 13, 2022 1:36 PM in response to Brittany1416

Thanks Brittany1416 for all that you shared - really appreciate it! I tried sliding the bar to max volume with the Reduce Loud Sounds turned on and volume is still the same when connected to my stereo speakers, with no headphones attached. Volume is noticeably lower than when my Xs is connected???? It may have to do with the new head phone feature Apple incorporated to iOs 16 and a bug that is not resolved on their end, as the out put volume should not be limited when connected to blue tooth, with no headphones connected. This has been frustrating - upgrading my phone and in return getting lesser audio output ...still using my Xs to play my playlist when I should be able to use my new phone ... any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!

Dec 14, 2022 9:26 AM in response to tvomb

Hello tvomb,

Let's test your iPhone 14 Pro with another external audio device, such as a Bluetooth speaker or a vehicle's stereo system. That should help to further isolate this behavior.

Also, do you experience this behavior with multiple apps and types of content, such as videos?

Let us know, and we'll keep moving forward based on your results.

iPhone 14 Pro Sound Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.