Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printed photos not true to size chosen

I have a photo frame with a several openings for 4x6 photos. I've tried to print photos on glossy 4x6 photo paper to fill these openings, but even though I selected no border, there is still a narrow border on the top, bottom and left side and a very wide border on the right. Obviously these photos don't completely fill the opening in the mat. How do I resolve this? I'm using Photos and a Canon Pixma 2820 to do the printing.

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Dec 11, 2022 9:53 AM

10 replies

Dec 12, 2022 6:18 AM in response to Old Toad

As far as the pixels and size ratio, I have no idea since many of these were copies of photos sent to me in emails.

I have a feeling that there's going to be a lot of mathematical calculations involved in solving this, and this is definitely not my strong point. If you have a simpler solution, let me know...otherwise, thanks for at least replying to my question.

Dec 12, 2022 9:39 AM in response to Calcharmac

As OT says, it's hard to remember what this version was like. But this may give you an idea of how to avoid "a lot of mathematical calculations." Here is a picture that is the right "aspect ratio" for a 6x4 inch frame:

This is from the Monterey, 12.6, version of Photos, and you can see on the right that you can choose all sorts of sizes, though 6x4 isn't there. So I chose "Custom" and entered 6 and 4, and it picked the right cropping for me. Since the picture is actually taller than that, I could move it up and down to center the action. By dragging a corner, I can zoom in:

You may be able to do this in the version you have, or you can update and do more.

We're here if you have more questions...

Dec 12, 2022 8:57 AM in response to Calcharmac

Select a photo and type ⌘ + i to bring up the Info pane in Photos for that image.

Just a note: your Photos version is about 7 versions behind the latest. I vaguely recall that the first version had problems but don't know if what you're experiencing is one of them.

If you're able to I'd upgrade the system to the latest that your Mac can run. You can see what is the latest version for your Mac with the free MacTracker app. It's a wealth of info for all things Apple.

Dec 13, 2022 8:50 AM in response to Calcharmac

You probably ought to upgrade to a newer operating system. You don't have to go all the way, if you don't want-- you can upgrade to Mojave, macOS 10.14, where Photos isn't so much different. Then later you can go Monterey. The OS versions are available in the App Store.

You probably should get an external drive (good quality, meaning fast, 2 terabytes is maybe $60, smaller is less) to back up your stuff before switching.

Good Luck!

Printed photos not true to size chosen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.