Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Allowing iPhone (11) to access iMac (2019 - Intel Processor based)

Objective

I would like to connect my iPhone 11 to my iMac (2019 -Intel processor). I used to connect my iPhone to perform local backups to my iMac.

Observations and Status

When I connect my iPhone to my iMac via USB lightning cable, my iPhone starts charging and that is all. It does not show up as a connected device. In a Finder window, I do not see my iPhone listed in the Locations with other devices listed.

I have latest software on iMac-2019 (Ventura 13.0.1) and iPhone11 (iOS 16.1.2). All have been restarted/rebooted.

I have ruled out a bad USB cable or bad USB connector by using different USB cables in different USB slots on iMac all with the same observed behavior, powering iPhone but no connectivity.

The Apple Help indicates to change settings to Allow Accessories, but the setting isn't available to be changed.

I cannot access the "Allow Accessories" section within the System Settings --> Privacy & Security section. See screen shot.

Privacy & Security Section

Does Apple macOS and iOS still support connectivity between iPhone and iMac Intel based processor?

If so, what settings do I need to change to permit connection?

Please advise.

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13

Posted on Dec 11, 2022 9:58 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Dec 11, 2022 1:05 PM in response to talljohnson

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if you can connect the iPhone and Mac successfully. If so do what you need to do and rReboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Dec 11, 2022 12:03 PM in response to Old Toad

I used to perform those steps exactly.

However, my iPhone is longer connecting to my iMac and thus not available to select in the Locations listed. I have updated both iMac and iPhone with new software in the last ~month. So, I don't know which one is the issue.

I am wondering if recent Apple focus on "Apple Silicon" and security is no longer permitting connection to the "older" iMac 2019 Intel based processors.

Any ideas?

Dec 11, 2022 7:28 PM in response to Old Toad

I decided to reset my iPhone. I was concerned that I accidentally told my iPhone to not Trust my computer. This took some research and I found out how to do this.

https://appletoolbox.com/reset-the-trust-this-computer-setting-on-your-iphone-or-ipad/

I was able to successfully reset my iPhone. Once, I reconnected it to my Computer, it did reprompt me if I wanted to Trust my computer. I did allow "Trust". This step told me that the above Reset procedure works.

When I connect my iPhone it still does not show up on under Locations in a Finder window.

I did open Photos and noticed that my iPhone does show up. It allows me to connect to for downloading Photos.

Why won't it show up under Locations in the Finder?

All I want to do is Backup (Sync) my iPhone to my computer.

Any help is appreciated.

Allowing iPhone (11) to access iMac (2019 - Intel Processor based)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.