Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting safari tabs back on iPad Pro iOS

On my iPad Pro ios I often have multiple safari windows open When I double click home button and have them all show I have swiped up accidentally on wrong safari windows and lost all the open tabs. Many of those tabs are in privacy mode

How can I get that window and all its tabs back

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Dec 11, 2022 2:34 PM

2 replies

Dec 11, 2022 3:49 PM in response to Neophyte8

Tabs that are opened in Private Browsing mode are, by design, not stored in your iPad history. Once closed, this tabs/windows cannot be recovered.

Other recently closed Safari tabs can be recovered. Touch-and-hold the blue “+” icon at top right of the Safari window to see a list of recently closed tabs; tap the entry that you wish to restore.

An accidentally closed Safari window can also be reopened. Starting from a Home Screen, assuming that Safari is visible in the Dock, touch-and-hold (i.e., long touch) the Safari icon; an Action Menu will appear.

From the menu, select Show All Windows; you will now see a screen that closely resembles the Task Switcher - but you will only see preview windows for your open Safari Windows. At top right (or for iPadOS16, top-left) you will see the Reopen Closed Window(s) button.

You should note that the Reopen Closed Window(s) button allows you to reopen a window for a limited period of time.

Getting safari tabs back on iPad Pro iOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.