Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keyboard accents gone in iOS 16.1.2

Since I have updated to iOS 16 on my iPhone 12, I have lost all my accents àáâā èéêëēe îïi etc.

I have tried everything. Does anyone please know how to fix this?

iPhone 12, iOS 16

Posted on Dec 11, 2022 6:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 9:14 AM

Hi PierreRabbit,

For help with adding accents to letter, be sure to follow the steps below found in the article here: Type with the onscreen keyboard on iPhone

"Enter accented letters or other characters while typing

While typing, touch and hold the letter, number, or symbol on the keyboard that’s related to the character you want.

For example, to enter é, touch and hold the e key, then slide to choose a variant.

A screen showing an email being composed. The keyboard is open and showing alternate accented characters that appear when you touch and hold the E key.

You can also do any of the following:

• On a Thai keyboard: To choose native numbers, touch and hold the related Arabic number.
  • On a Chinese, Japanese, or Arabic keyboard: Tap a suggested character or candidate at the top of the keyboard to enter it, or swipe left to see more candidates.

Note: To view the full candidate list, tap the up arrow on the right. To return to the short list, tap the down arrow."

There's also an update available for your iPhone. Once you have a backup, update with the steps here: Update iOS on iPhone

If the issue continues and you're sure your keyboard settings are correct, reach out to Apple Support directly to further assist. Change the language and region on iPhone

Contact Apple Support

Contact Apple for support and service

Cheers.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2022 9:14 AM in response to PierreRabbit

Hi PierreRabbit,

For help with adding accents to letter, be sure to follow the steps below found in the article here: Type with the onscreen keyboard on iPhone

"Enter accented letters or other characters while typing

While typing, touch and hold the letter, number, or symbol on the keyboard that’s related to the character you want.

For example, to enter é, touch and hold the e key, then slide to choose a variant.

A screen showing an email being composed. The keyboard is open and showing alternate accented characters that appear when you touch and hold the E key.

You can also do any of the following:

• On a Thai keyboard: To choose native numbers, touch and hold the related Arabic number.
  • On a Chinese, Japanese, or Arabic keyboard: Tap a suggested character or candidate at the top of the keyboard to enter it, or swipe left to see more candidates.

Note: To view the full candidate list, tap the up arrow on the right. To return to the short list, tap the down arrow."

There's also an update available for your iPhone. Once you have a backup, update with the steps here: Update iOS on iPhone

If the issue continues and you're sure your keyboard settings are correct, reach out to Apple Support directly to further assist. Change the language and region on iPhone

Contact Apple Support

Contact Apple for support and service

Cheers.

Dec 15, 2022 9:34 AM in response to OrigamiFan1

I’ve tried all of the things you have suggested, but nothing works.

I’ll next contact Apple Support.

One question for you, what do you mean in your “Note: To view the full candidate list, tap…” I don’t know what up and down arrows to which you refer.

The confounding thing is I still have accents available in iOS15 on my iPad. IOS16 has been an annoying upgrade, where settings have to be reset.

PierreRabbit

keyboard accents gone in iOS 16.1.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.