Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone keeps asking for Apple ID password 12/2022

iPhone 11 Pro Max running 16.1.2

This issue started after my latest update to 16.1.2. Every morning when I get up, I have a message to enter my Apple ID password.

How do I resolve?

Thanks

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Dec 12, 2022 5:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 1:12 PM

Hi EJCSDS,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities. Do you see this prompt to enter your Apple ID password in Settings or somewhere else? The more information you provide, the better the community can assist. Have you restarted your iPhone since this issue began? This can refresh iOS. Have you ever downloaded apps under a different Apple ID? If so, delete the app and re-download it under your current Apple ID. Sometimes if you install an app under a different Apple ID it will keep asking for the password. Since the issue occurred after an update, we recommend updating to the latest version of iOS to see if the issue persists after doing so. Here's how if needed: Update your iPhone or iPad

"

Update your iPhone or iPad wirelessly

1. Back up your device using iCloud or your computer.
  2. Plug your device into power and connect to the internet with Wi-Fi.
  3. Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
  4. If you see more than one software update option available, choose the one that you want to install.
  5. Tap Install Now. If you see Download and Install instead, tap it to download the update, enter your passcode, then tap Install Now. If you don't know your passcode, learn what to do.

"

Take care.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2022 1:12 PM in response to EJCSDS

Hi EJCSDS,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities. Do you see this prompt to enter your Apple ID password in Settings or somewhere else? The more information you provide, the better the community can assist. Have you restarted your iPhone since this issue began? This can refresh iOS. Have you ever downloaded apps under a different Apple ID? If so, delete the app and re-download it under your current Apple ID. Sometimes if you install an app under a different Apple ID it will keep asking for the password. Since the issue occurred after an update, we recommend updating to the latest version of iOS to see if the issue persists after doing so. Here's how if needed: Update your iPhone or iPad

"

Update your iPhone or iPad wirelessly

1. Back up your device using iCloud or your computer.
  2. Plug your device into power and connect to the internet with Wi-Fi.
  3. Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
  4. If you see more than one software update option available, choose the one that you want to install.
  5. Tap Install Now. If you see Download and Install instead, tap it to download the update, enter your passcode, then tap Install Now. If you don't know your passcode, learn what to do.

"

Take care.

Dec 15, 2022 11:55 AM in response to EJCSDS

Hey EJCSDS,

And just to confirm, the Apple ID shown to enter the password of is the Apple ID you're using on the iPhone? Also, if you go to the App Store to attempt updating the apps, are there any apps here that are not updating? Here's the steps you'll want to take to manually update the apps: How to manually update apps on your Apple device - Apple Support. This can help us isolate where the error is coming from.

We look forward to hearing back.

Dec 15, 2022 1:24 PM in response to EJCSDS

Hello EJCSDS,

For this issue, we'd also recommend the following steps:

1. Update all of your trusted devices. See steps above for updating iOS and iPadOS. If using a Mac, see steps in: Update macOS on Mac
  2. Are you using a passcode on this device? If not, set one up and test it out: Use a passcode with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If needed, make sure iCloud Keychain is enabled: Set up iCloud Keychain

Should you continue to have this issue, then it would be best to contact Apple Support: Official - Apple Support They'll need to take it from here.

Wishing you well, take care.

Dec 15, 2022 5:38 AM in response to Jeff_888

Again this morning, here is what happens. Wake up and the settings icon has a red circle with a 1 in it. Click on it and the "update apple Id Settings" has the red circle 1. Click on it and I get "Update Apple ID Settings." Click on "continue" and I get "Aple ID Password" enter the password for XXXXXX@XXXXX.XXX.

Of course I enter and this goes away, until the next day.

iPhone keeps asking for Apple ID password 12/2022

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.