Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Books won't open on M2 MacBook Air

On my Mac Mini and iPad Air I can open and read all my books without issue.

On my MacBook Air M2, only a few of my books will open.

They all used to open, prior to Ventura.

My Mac Mini, iPad Air and MacBook Air are all associated with my AppleID and all have been authorised.

One weird thing I noticed is that in Books | Settings | General if I tick download new purchases automatically it only stays ticked for a few seconds.

I have tried signing in and out of my account.

I tried de-authorizing and re-authorizing my MacBook Air.

Not even an Apple book like "MacBook Air Essentials" will open on my MacBook Air.

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Dec 12, 2022 1:18 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Dec 14, 2022 4:15 PM in response to Thunderclutch

Hi Thunderclutch,

You've done a great job isolating this issue on your own. Since you've determine this only occurs on your M2 Mac, we'll want to see whether this occurs system wide, or if it's isolated to that specific user.

To do this, let's go and test to see if you're able to open and read your books in a different user on your Mac with the same account. If you don't already have one, you can use the steps in Add a user or group on Mac to create a "test" user.

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Users & Groups  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)
  2. Click the Add Account button below the list of users on the right (you may be asked to enter your password.)
  3. Click the New Account pop-up menu, then choose a type of user.
  4. For more information about the options for each type of user, click the Help button in the lower-left corner of the dialog.
  5. Enter a full name for the new user. An account name is generated automatically. To use a different account name, enter it now—you can’t change it later.
  6. Enter a password for the user, then enter it again to verify. Enter a password hint to help the user remember their password.
  7. Click Create User.

From here, use Switch quickly between users on Mac to change over to the other user, and get your account set up in Books to See your books and audiobooks on all your devices with Books on Mac.

Let us know if you continue to see the same issues in a different user on that same Mac. We'll go from there.

Regards.

Books won't open on M2 MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.