Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud backup from old device

I got a new iPhone and was freeing up storage. I came across data from the old phone and was wondering what would happen if I was to delete backup from that phone. Would it affect anything I have on my new/current phone?

Posted on Dec 12, 2022 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 4:26 PM

Hello MaxyS2,

Once you've restored the data from your old iPhone to the new, then you can delete the old backup if you wish. Just removing it would make it so you cannot restore that data in the future if you ever needed to reset your iPhone. Here's some more info on clearing that storage: View and manage iCloud device backups - Apple Support

You can view and manage your iCloud backups from an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, or Windows computer.
If you want to customize which apps and data are backed up, see Back up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to iCloud.
WARNING: If you delete the iCloud backup for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, iCloud stops automatically backing up the device.

View and manage iCloud backups on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
1. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud.
2. Do one of the following:
iOS 16, iPadOS 16, or later: Tap iCloud Backup.
iOS 15, iPadOS 15, or earlier: Tap Manage Storage, then tap Backups.
You see the devices with iCloud Backup turned on.
3. To delete a backup, tap the name of a device, then tap Delete & Turn Off Backup (or Delete Backup).

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2022 4:26 PM in response to MaxyS2

Hello MaxyS2,

Once you've restored the data from your old iPhone to the new, then you can delete the old backup if you wish. Just removing it would make it so you cannot restore that data in the future if you ever needed to reset your iPhone. Here's some more info on clearing that storage: View and manage iCloud device backups - Apple Support

You can view and manage your iCloud backups from an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, or Windows computer.
If you want to customize which apps and data are backed up, see Back up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to iCloud.
WARNING: If you delete the iCloud backup for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, iCloud stops automatically backing up the device.

View and manage iCloud backups on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
1. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud.
2. Do one of the following:
iOS 16, iPadOS 16, or later: Tap iCloud Backup.
iOS 15, iPadOS 15, or earlier: Tap Manage Storage, then tap Backups.
You see the devices with iCloud Backup turned on.
3. To delete a backup, tap the name of a device, then tap Delete & Turn Off Backup (or Delete Backup).

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities!

iCloud backup from old device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.