Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove search marquis from safari / MacBook air?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Dec 13, 2022 12:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 10:17 AM

Pending your answer to my earlier reply regarding incomplete file names, please follow the instructions below. If anything else needs to be removed, I'll let you know after you reply with the answer to that question.

First, ensure you have a reliable backup of your Mac, in case something should go wrong with continued troubleshooting. To learn how to do that, please read Back up your Mac with Time Machine.

• A backup is a fundamental prerequisite regardless of whatever method you may choose uninstall adware, and would apply even if your Mac were running perfectly well. Do not overlook this fundamental requirement. It's important.

Next: This step will prevent the scam products from loading so that they can be removed while they are inactive. Restart in "Safe Mode", and log in: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac. Starting in Safe Mode takes longer than usual so let it finish. The rogue processes affecting that Mac are inoperative in "Safe Mode".

The following files and / or folders need to be deleted while using your Mac in "Safe Mode":

First screenshot:

Nothing needs to be deleted from the folders in the other two screenshots.

• Note: The files actually responsible for causing the unwanted behavior are in the rightmost column. The two folders indicated in the LaunchAgents folder enclosing them contain supporting files that will be rendered inert. Left to themselves they will be doing nothing other than occupying space, so they can be removed also.

Drag those selections of files to the Trash. You may be asked to authenticate. Confirm they are no longer present in that folder. Leave all the others alone for now. Remember to read my comments regarding certain additional files later.

Next: open Safari and select the Safari menu > Preferences... > Extensions. If you see any Safari Extensions that you do not recognize or understand, simply click the Uninstall button and they will be gone. No Safari Extensions are required for normal operation. Then, select the General pane and review your Homepage selection. Repeat those equivalent actions for any other browser you may use (Brave, Firefox, or Opera for example).

There may also be adware-associated app icons in your Mac's Applications folder. Open it and examine its contents. Any unwanted or mysterious app icons should be obvious to you, but again please don't remove anything if you are uncertain—ask first. Identify any suspicious apps by name, or post another screenshot.

Next: In an abundance of caution, examine System Preferences > Extensions. Determine if there are any System Extensions that may have been installed without your knowledge. Ask if you're uncertain.

Remaining in System Preferences, check for the presence of any Profiles. Profiles are installed by organizations with a need to manage Macs deployed in institutional corporate or educational environments (for example), but have also been exploited by adware creators and similar malcontents. If any Profiles are installed on your Mac an icon like this will appear in System Preferences:

If you see that icon in System Preferences, select it. To remove a Profile, select it, then click the [—] (minus) button and authenticate.

Remaining in System Preferences, open Users & Groups. Select your User Account's Login Items. You may or may not find those Applications in its list. If you do, select them then click the [—] (minus) button to remove them from Login Items.

You can then restart your Mac and log in as usual. Evaluate its operation and ensure everything is working as you expect it should.

Next: if you want to eradicate all remaining adware remnants post a screenshot of the following folder, in the same manner as you did earlier:

~/Library/Application Support

It is normal for that folder to contain many items, but anything associated with the above adware may contain identical names. If you find a folder or folders bearing those names, drag those folders to the Trash. Without the files you already removed or the reintroduction of similar malware, they can do nothing but occupy space. These can be removed if you wish, but again don't remove anything if you are uncertain.

Finally: If any of the above actions result in abnormal operation or if something else stops working, the easiest way to recover would be to restore the Time Machine backup you created as a prerequisite, so the importance of that fundamental step cannot be overemphasized.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2022 10:17 AM in response to kshaunish72

Pending your answer to my earlier reply regarding incomplete file names, please follow the instructions below. If anything else needs to be removed, I'll let you know after you reply with the answer to that question.

First, ensure you have a reliable backup of your Mac, in case something should go wrong with continued troubleshooting. To learn how to do that, please read Back up your Mac with Time Machine.

• A backup is a fundamental prerequisite regardless of whatever method you may choose uninstall adware, and would apply even if your Mac were running perfectly well. Do not overlook this fundamental requirement. It's important.

Next: This step will prevent the scam products from loading so that they can be removed while they are inactive. Restart in "Safe Mode", and log in: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac. Starting in Safe Mode takes longer than usual so let it finish. The rogue processes affecting that Mac are inoperative in "Safe Mode".

The following files and / or folders need to be deleted while using your Mac in "Safe Mode":

First screenshot:

Nothing needs to be deleted from the folders in the other two screenshots.

• Note: The files actually responsible for causing the unwanted behavior are in the rightmost column. The two folders indicated in the LaunchAgents folder enclosing them contain supporting files that will be rendered inert. Left to themselves they will be doing nothing other than occupying space, so they can be removed also.

Drag those selections of files to the Trash. You may be asked to authenticate. Confirm they are no longer present in that folder. Leave all the others alone for now. Remember to read my comments regarding certain additional files later.

Next: open Safari and select the Safari menu > Preferences... > Extensions. If you see any Safari Extensions that you do not recognize or understand, simply click the Uninstall button and they will be gone. No Safari Extensions are required for normal operation. Then, select the General pane and review your Homepage selection. Repeat those equivalent actions for any other browser you may use (Brave, Firefox, or Opera for example).

There may also be adware-associated app icons in your Mac's Applications folder. Open it and examine its contents. Any unwanted or mysterious app icons should be obvious to you, but again please don't remove anything if you are uncertain—ask first. Identify any suspicious apps by name, or post another screenshot.

Next: In an abundance of caution, examine System Preferences > Extensions. Determine if there are any System Extensions that may have been installed without your knowledge. Ask if you're uncertain.

Remaining in System Preferences, check for the presence of any Profiles. Profiles are installed by organizations with a need to manage Macs deployed in institutional corporate or educational environments (for example), but have also been exploited by adware creators and similar malcontents. If any Profiles are installed on your Mac an icon like this will appear in System Preferences:

If you see that icon in System Preferences, select it. To remove a Profile, select it, then click the [—] (minus) button and authenticate.

Remaining in System Preferences, open Users & Groups. Select your User Account's Login Items. You may or may not find those Applications in its list. If you do, select them then click the [—] (minus) button to remove them from Login Items.

You can then restart your Mac and log in as usual. Evaluate its operation and ensure everything is working as you expect it should.

Next: if you want to eradicate all remaining adware remnants post a screenshot of the following folder, in the same manner as you did earlier:

~/Library/Application Support

It is normal for that folder to contain many items, but anything associated with the above adware may contain identical names. If you find a folder or folders bearing those names, drag those folders to the Trash. Without the files you already removed or the reintroduction of similar malware, they can do nothing but occupy space. These can be removed if you wish, but again don't remove anything if you are uncertain.

Finally: If any of the above actions result in abnormal operation or if something else stops working, the easiest way to recover would be to restore the Time Machine backup you created as a prerequisite, so the importance of that fundamental step cannot be overemphasized.

Jan 5, 2023 6:57 AM in response to kshaunish72

Go ahead and delete this file:

Do that while in Safe Mode.

After doing that don't forget to restart your Mac. Then, make sure that your Safari Preferences are correctly set: the Start Page you want, the Search Engine you want, etc.

Should I delete this?

Yes. The entire ~/Library/Application Support/Memeo folder and its contents can be deleted also. That program is old, no longer working, and all the files it required are doing nothing except occupying a very little amount of space. It is not related to the problem at hand though.

Jan 3, 2023 9:30 AM in response to kshaunish72

To be sure I did not omit something please repeat the earlier instructions, exactly as written. In other words capture new screenshots and post them. The reason is that even one rogue file can spawn others and perpetuate the problem, and I may have overlooked one or more of them.

Be sure to confirm all file names are readable by selecting View > as List or other selection that shows the folder's complete contents are legible, including complete file names.

Also be sure review Safari's Homepage selection as well as its Search engine preferences to be sure Safari is configured the way you want.

Jan 9, 2023 8:21 AM in response to kshaunish72

That oddly named file seems to be associated with a legitimate Windows PC program: dm FOTO Paradies + CEWE FOTOBUCH, so the reason it's on your Mac was confusing me.

The same file may be required by CEWE Fotowelt which is not available in the US. That obviously hinders troubleshooting, so I appreciate your help in tracking it down.

In any event if you need that app, you may need to download it again from the App Store. Don't obtain it from any source other than one explicitly approved by its developer... advice that applies to anything.

Dec 14, 2022 5:13 AM in response to kshaunish72

There is only one file I am uncertain about. Please open the first folder and post a screenshot of its contents, but this time please expand the column to the right so that all file names are readable. I need to know complete file names.

This is the file I am uncertain about:

There are other files in that folder that certainly need to be deleted. The other two folders are ok.

Jan 4, 2023 4:48 AM in response to kshaunish72

Thanks. Following the instructions from the beginning (in other words, while in Safe Mode) delete the following files from the folder in your first screenshot:

Proceed with the rest of the instructions. If the problem still exists, then delete the one I was initially uncertain about also:

... and make sure the others do not reappear.

Evaluate your Mac's operation and let me know what you determine. In an abundance of caution, don't empty the Trash quite yet.

Jan 4, 2023 9:23 PM in response to John Galt

Dear John,

After following your instructions in the Safe Mode, I find this folder in the Mac's Applications folder, below

Should I delete this?

Nest after restarting, I find a similar folder in ~/Library/Application Support, below

Should I delete this folder also?

Haven't emptied my trash as of now....

Presently, the search marquis is still coming and the look of my ~/Library/Launch Agents is as below:

Awaiting your guidance!

Regards,

Kshaunish

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.