Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I find my recovery key

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Dec 13, 2022 3:33 AM

3 replies

Dec 13, 2022 7:22 AM in response to Holi_600

Hi Holi,

As was mentioned earlier, it is wherever you wrote it down and stored it. If you can't find it, this link will take you directly to the paragraph of the document dealing with a lost recovery key issue: Two-step verification for Apple ID - Apple Support :

What if I lose my Recovery Key?

You can sign in to your Apple ID account page and create a new Recovery Key using your Apple ID password and one of your trusted devices.

1. Go to appleid.apple.com.

2. Sign in with your password and trusted device.

3. In the Sign-In and Security section, click Recovery Key > Change Recovery Key.

Keep your new Recovery Key in a safe place. Your old Recovery Key won't work anymore and you can't use it to reset your password or access your account. If you don't see Recovery Key in the Sign-In and Security section, then you are not using two-step verification.

Dec 13, 2022 12:43 PM in response to Holi_600

Hello Holi,

Here's an update to my previous post.

I'll assume you are using two-factor authentication for security. A recovery is simply a 28 digit code that you write down and store in a safe place. In that regard it is wherever you may keep such a thing. If you need to generate a key:

Generate a recovery key

You can generate a new recovery key from Settings or System Preferences on a trusted device signed in with your Apple ID.

For details about two-factor recovery keys, read this support article --> How to generate a recovery key - Apple Support

If you're using the older, two-step security, this is the document you need: Two-step verification for Apple ID - Apple Support

How can I find my recovery key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.