Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which cord should I use to power my usb Epson printer with my iMac?

I need to connect my Epson printer (usb) with my new iMac. what cord do I need? I have a new router for wifi that isn't accepting the wireless connection and I have spent a full day with the router folks and the epson web support. None of the suggestions work and I'm ready to plug it into my computer with a cord.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 13, 2022 7:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2022 12:21 PM

Your iMac has 4 USB-C type ports, 2 of them are Thunderbolt rated (the ones with the lightning bolt). You can use any of the 4 ports for your printer.

You can use a USB-B (Printer) to USB-C cable or a USB-A to USB-C adapter with your current cable. Either way should work.

See the following links:

link ➡️ Cable Matters USB C Printer Cable 3.3 ft (USB C to USB B Cable, USB B to USB C Cable)  - Amazon.com

link ➡️ USB C Adapter (2 Pack), Anker USB C to USB Adapter High-Speed Data Transfer, USB-C to USB 3.0 Female Adapter - Amazon.com

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2022 12:21 PM in response to carolinemaine

Your iMac has 4 USB-C type ports, 2 of them are Thunderbolt rated (the ones with the lightning bolt). You can use any of the 4 ports for your printer.

You can use a USB-B (Printer) to USB-C cable or a USB-A to USB-C adapter with your current cable. Either way should work.

See the following links:

link ➡️ Cable Matters USB C Printer Cable 3.3 ft (USB C to USB B Cable, USB B to USB C Cable)  - Amazon.com

link ➡️ USB C Adapter (2 Pack), Anker USB C to USB Adapter High-Speed Data Transfer, USB-C to USB 3.0 Female Adapter - Amazon.com

Dec 13, 2022 12:26 PM in response to carolinemaine

Sorry to hear that your Epson printer will not connect to your new Router.

To go with USB, you will need to use a USB-C to USB adapter.

For the Apple branded adapter, see > USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

For an aftermarket USB-C to USB adapter that I know works with the latest Mac's,

see > https://www.target.com/p/philips-usb-c-to-3-0-usb-a-female-adapter/-/A-79804275

Dec 13, 2022 11:46 AM in response to Phil0124

iMac 24" 2021 Ventura 13.0.1 Chip: Apple M1

Epson ET-2550

The iMac has 4 of the small ports, two of them have the lightening bolt.

The Printer has a usb cable that does not work with the iMac without an adapter, which I do not have.

It may be the adapter that I need. The printer has worked fine with my wifi until the last two days. It is no longer detectable by the computer. I have spent over a day with the support team for my router, and an hour+ on the Epson support site. I've met my limit and keep getting redirected. So, I don't mind the hard wire, I just don't know what to get... thanks so much for your help.

Which cord should I use to power my usb Epson printer with my iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.