Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set up personal hotspot as a shortcut on my iPhone?

Why can’t we have personal hotspot as a shortcut? Why do we have to long press on the control panel to get to it? It shouldn’t take 3 steps to turn on hotspot.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad mini 6, iPadOS 15

Posted on Dec 13, 2022 6:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2022 1:22 PM

Thank you. That is somewhat helpful. The problem is the shortcut also opens the settings menu and leaves you there so you have to go back to wherever you were. I'm no expert so maybe I could make going back to home part of the shortcut. Another problem is this only works to turn the hotspot on and not off.

And ultimately, the end user (myself) shouldn't have to work this hard to get a button to turn the hotspot off and on. That's just ridiculous in today's hotspot/tethering/everybody needs to be connected world we live in.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2022 1:22 PM in response to Stephen Spark

Thank you. That is somewhat helpful. The problem is the shortcut also opens the settings menu and leaves you there so you have to go back to wherever you were. I'm no expert so maybe I could make going back to home part of the shortcut. Another problem is this only works to turn the hotspot on and not off.

And ultimately, the end user (myself) shouldn't have to work this hard to get a button to turn the hotspot off and on. That's just ridiculous in today's hotspot/tethering/everybody needs to be connected world we live in.

Dec 16, 2022 10:25 AM in response to LotusPilot

Enabling the hotspot may be "trivial" to you but that is subjective. On my Android, I can do it with one button press...I don't have to swipe down the control panel, long press on it, and then hit the button. When you have to use it multiple times a day, turning it off and on each time, it's annoyingly untrivial. Especially when there are similar buttons for wifi, airplane mode, etc. Seriously, it's easier to turn on airplane mode than the hotspot. Lol

Dec 16, 2022 1:31 PM in response to LotusPilot

I never claimed it was complex. Your reply only serves to illustrate my point. They CAN make it easy. They choose to only do so as long as it's an Apple device. More proprietary territory marking. That makes me like it even less.

And no, it's not just 3 taps of the screen...even though it's becoming clear you didn't pop into this thread to offer any solution to the problem. Swipe down from the top right corner, long press in a smaller area where if you hit one of the buttons, it will activate those so you have to make sure you long press in just the right spot, and then a simple button press. And then repeat to turn it off. As I said, having to do this multiple times a day is very inconvenient when it doesn't have to be. Apple is just not going to make it easy for their device to work with non-Apple devices. This is not a selling feature.

If you applied your thoughts process to Apple, we'd be on the same page. "Well, with subjective measurement in mind, including a button to turn on hotspot is hardly complex."

Dec 16, 2022 1:37 PM in response to jburnes

jburnes wrote:

I never claimed it was complex. Your reply only serves to illustrate my point. They CAN make it easy. They choose to only do so as long as it's an Apple device. More proprietary territory marking. That makes me like it even less.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. But, trying to make your case here in this user-to-user forum is really not terribly productive. Apple doesn't read here for feedback or suggestions. You can Apple know your thoughts on the matter here:

Product Feedback - Apple

But, yes, Apple has a long history of giving customers what Apple feels they need, not what customers say they want. Some people are okay with that, others, not so much.

Dec 16, 2022 10:37 AM in response to jburnes

Well, with subjective measurement in mind, manually enabling the hotspot is hardly complex.

Perhaps also consider that, for Apple devices, activation of an iPhone or iPad hotspot by another Apple device requires no manual action at all; if enabled, the process is fully automatic.

Only if using a non-Apple device is it necessary to manually enable the host device hotspot - with three taps of the screen.

Dec 16, 2022 2:49 PM in response to jburnes

You needn’t be rude.

I was trying to both provide objective help - and information about functionality that you may have been unaware.

As for the automation between Apple devices to automatically enable a hotspot, this works because of the smart proprietary signalling between between devices that isn’t available with Android.

Anyhow, as you are not open to constructive discussion, I’ll step out now.

How to set up personal hotspot as a shortcut on my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.