Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t invite people to home app iOS 16.2

Help! We have lots of stuff in our home app. I updated all the pieces parts to iOS 16.2 etc except my wife who was out. I completed the update on my phone, everything seemed to be working. I updated my wife’s phone when she got home.

I opened her home app she had a brand new home. I checked my home app on my phone and it said invite pending but her app did not show it. So I canceled and resent. She got the invite, accepted it and she appeared as a resident on my phone, then disappeared, then appeared again as a resident then disappeared. On her phone it gave an error "could not join home" in all lower case. I deleted her default (empty) home, rebooted both phones, repeated, same outcome!

I have tried several iterations including using her iPad. No joy.

help!

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Dec 13, 2022 7:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 1:54 PM

After some time on the phone with Apple support, we got it resolved... took a little while... here were the steps:

1). All devices of all people have to be up to date, laptops, iPhones, iPads

2). All bridges have to be up to date (AppleTV and HomePods)

3). Homepods had to have BOTH the primary user and the Homepod account logged in as me (the primary home user). Rebooted after changing setting

4). Removed VPN's on mine and my wife's phone. Under "settings>general>VPN & Device Management and delete any VPNs (then rebooted)... Not sure this had an impact, it was an early step

5). Turned advanced protection off on my EERO router (and ad blocking)

At this point, my wife's phone and other devices just connected... Steps 1 and 2 are absolutely required. I am not sure which of the steps after that did it, but if I were to prioritize I would do step 3 then step 5, then step 4.

All is back in working order and I can say notifications are much faster, particularly for things coming from my homebridge server.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2022 1:54 PM in response to CypherPanda

After some time on the phone with Apple support, we got it resolved... took a little while... here were the steps:

1). All devices of all people have to be up to date, laptops, iPhones, iPads

2). All bridges have to be up to date (AppleTV and HomePods)

3). Homepods had to have BOTH the primary user and the Homepod account logged in as me (the primary home user). Rebooted after changing setting

4). Removed VPN's on mine and my wife's phone. Under "settings>general>VPN & Device Management and delete any VPNs (then rebooted)... Not sure this had an impact, it was an early step

5). Turned advanced protection off on my EERO router (and ad blocking)

At this point, my wife's phone and other devices just connected... Steps 1 and 2 are absolutely required. I am not sure which of the steps after that did it, but if I were to prioritize I would do step 3 then step 5, then step 4.

All is back in working order and I can say notifications are much faster, particularly for things coming from my homebridge server.

Can’t invite people to home app iOS 16.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.