Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no 4 k option when sending through sound bar.

I recently bought the 2022 Apple tv 4K. I noticed when I connect the apple tv directly to my tv I can select the 4k picture quality. But as my tv does not have an HDMI out, I need to send the apple HDMI cable to the sound bar first then into the tv. When I connect this way the apple tv no longer gives me the option to select 4K, the highest 1080p.

What am I doing wrong, both HDMI cables are 2.0 or 2.1, all 3 devices are ARC.

I could use the optical from the tv back to the sound bar but then, I will need to make use of the sound bar remote. I quite like that the apple remote controls everything.

Is there another way to send 4k picture quality via the sound bar?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 16

Posted on Dec 13, 2022 9:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 6:26 AM

Skyworth TV 50" SUD9300F

That 2021 TV has 3 HDMI 2.0 ports, as well as S/PDIF optical out. Google couldn’t find any details on ARC (if present, on which HDMI port?). Seems like a normal feature to specify?!?

I tried to find an online manual, but that doesn’t seem to be publicly available.

Soundbar Samsung HW-R550

That 2019 soundbar has two HDMI ports, one HDMI-in, one HDMI-out, as well as optical. Use of the HDMI port(s) requires turning on CEC (Anynet+ in Samsung speak). The HDMI ports on this model conform to the HDMI 1.4 standard, which does not support 4K with HDCP. Hence no 4K from Apple TV when used for video passthrough.

If your TV has an ARC port, then use that for the connection between the TV and audio system. That is what ARC does: a return channel for audio. Else use optical.

Apple TV →[HDMI]→ TV with audio passthrough setting →[HDMI ARC]→ soundbar or

Apple TV →[HDMI]→ TV with audio passthrough setting →[optical]→ soundbar

You may need to set Apple TV to use Audio Format: Dolby Digital 5.1 (or Stereo); instead of Auto.

You will need to set Apple TV to use Audio Output: TV Speakers to have it output audio over HDMI.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2022 6:26 AM in response to craigfromeast london

Skyworth TV 50" SUD9300F

That 2021 TV has 3 HDMI 2.0 ports, as well as S/PDIF optical out. Google couldn’t find any details on ARC (if present, on which HDMI port?). Seems like a normal feature to specify?!?

I tried to find an online manual, but that doesn’t seem to be publicly available.

Soundbar Samsung HW-R550

That 2019 soundbar has two HDMI ports, one HDMI-in, one HDMI-out, as well as optical. Use of the HDMI port(s) requires turning on CEC (Anynet+ in Samsung speak). The HDMI ports on this model conform to the HDMI 1.4 standard, which does not support 4K with HDCP. Hence no 4K from Apple TV when used for video passthrough.

If your TV has an ARC port, then use that for the connection between the TV and audio system. That is what ARC does: a return channel for audio. Else use optical.

Apple TV →[HDMI]→ TV with audio passthrough setting →[HDMI ARC]→ soundbar or

Apple TV →[HDMI]→ TV with audio passthrough setting →[optical]→ soundbar

You may need to set Apple TV to use Audio Format: Dolby Digital 5.1 (or Stereo); instead of Auto.

You will need to set Apple TV to use Audio Output: TV Speakers to have it output audio over HDMI.

Dec 14, 2022 9:20 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Thank you very much for you support.

I went with this option that you advised Apple TV →[HDMI]→ TV with audio passthrough setting →[optical]→ soundbar with one added HDMI from TV to Soundbar HDMI in.

The Arc from the TV now powers the soundbar ON/OFF

So now I have the 4K picture and only the apple remote to control everything.

Again thank you for you assistance and research.

no 4 k option when sending through sound bar.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.