Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I selected "erase this device" while lost mode/activation lock was on, will the device still be locked once erased?

Hi all,

My iPhone 11 was stolen about a month ago and I decided to select the "erase this device" option in Find My. The phone was in lost mode. Will the phone still be locked once erased? Will the phone be locked while the erase is pending? I am hoping the thief can not access it once erased. Thank you!

iPhone 13

Posted on Dec 13, 2022 9:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 5:33 AM

Hi mago,

I refer you to this article: Erase a device in Find Devices on iCloud.com - Apple Support - What happens when you erase a device in Find Devices?

- A confirmation email is sent to your Apple ID email address.

- Activation Lock remains on to protect it. Your Apple ID and password are required to reactivate the device.

- If you erase a device that has iOS 15, iPadOS 15, or later installed, you can use Find Devices to locate or play a sound on the device. Otherwise, you won’t be able to locate or play a sound on it. You may still be able to locate your Mac or Apple Watch if it’s near a previously used Wi-Fi network.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2022 5:33 AM in response to mago1946

Hi mago,

I refer you to this article: Erase a device in Find Devices on iCloud.com - Apple Support - What happens when you erase a device in Find Devices?

- A confirmation email is sent to your Apple ID email address.

- Activation Lock remains on to protect it. Your Apple ID and password are required to reactivate the device.

- If you erase a device that has iOS 15, iPadOS 15, or later installed, you can use Find Devices to locate or play a sound on the device. Otherwise, you won’t be able to locate or play a sound on it. You may still be able to locate your Mac or Apple Watch if it’s near a previously used Wi-Fi network.

If I selected "erase this device" while lost mode/activation lock was on, will the device still be locked once erased?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.