Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

samsung T7 portable ssd not recognized

Not sure if this is an Apple problem or a Samsung.

I just received a Samsung SSD T7. For some reason, my iMac will not recognize the SSD. After a little research, it seems the workaround is to disable some of Apple's security on my mac.

Is this the only way?

iMac 24″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 6:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 7:46 AM

Except for some formatting with Disk Utility, External Drives should be plug-in and go.

First check your Finder settings to make sure External Drives are show on the Sidebar and Desktop.

see > Change Finder settings on Mac - Apple Support

If that does not help, open Disk Utility and check to see if the External Drive is present, mounted and format-able.

see > Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

If you still can not see the External Drive? First try another USB port on the iMac and then try a different External Drive.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2022 7:46 AM in response to DaddyOFTheMacDaddy

Except for some formatting with Disk Utility, External Drives should be plug-in and go.

First check your Finder settings to make sure External Drives are show on the Sidebar and Desktop.

see > Change Finder settings on Mac - Apple Support

If that does not help, open Disk Utility and check to see if the External Drive is present, mounted and format-able.

see > Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

If you still can not see the External Drive? First try another USB port on the iMac and then try a different External Drive.

samsung T7 portable ssd not recognized

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.