Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery Draining After WatchOS 9.2 Update

I ran the update to WatchOS 9.2 last evening (Model MWWQ2LL/A), and today it he battery is draining incredibly fast. To put it in perspective, between 5:00 and 5:30 each morning I put on my watch and take it off between 9:00 and 10:00 in the evening, and normally the percentage on my battery is no less than 30%. Today by 9:00 am my battery was at 10%. I charged it fully, removed it at about 11:00, and after less than 2 hours it is down to 72% already. Is there anything I need to do after the update that will fix this?

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 11:44 AM

36 replies

Dec 18, 2022 5:11 AM in response to RobertSch6

Yesterday I updated my series 5 watch to iOS 9.2 after a full recharge. The battery was drained in 4 hours. I can actually swipe up several times and watch the power drop. I have reset restarted erased repaired with my phone last night after a full charge. This morning the battery is dead after 6 hours. Thanks Apple. When will you fix the bug.

Jan 8, 2023 2:34 PM in response to ObyOm

Does anyone know the difference between cellular and cellular data? I have googled so much to see what the difference is but all I get is the difference between cellular vs gps. I’ve had the 2 toggled on but toggled off data and idk if that will make a difference but I guess we’ll see tomorrow. I spent 1.5 hours chatting with apple support yesterday and no answers so I have an appt to get it looked at in person. So frustrating, as I’m passed the 14 day return window. But I wish I could return it. Pointless to have a watch you have to turn off 90% of the functions and STILL have it die within 12 hours of being off the charger.

Dec 18, 2022 2:53 PM in response to Jeffscottusa

After many resets of the watch and phone, this morning I found a reddit post that indicated that having the phone time zone set to a specific time rather than automatic may be causing the problem. As I travel for business every month I have my phone on specific time zones. I set it to automatic turned of all watch updates and connections. Reset the phone and watch and this seems to have fixed the problem. Down to 84% in 10 hours rather than 10 minutes before. Hope this helps some users.

Dec 26, 2022 3:38 PM in response to RobertSch6

Anybody having this battery issue only when using cellular data? I’ve narrowed it down to my battery draining when my watch is not in range of my phone. My battery seems to be fine on days I’m off work and connected to the phone. Since the update to 9.2, when I’m at work and my phone is not on me, my battery will go from 100% at 5:30 am down to 10% by 6 pm. My battery was GREAT before the update, like 50-60% at the end of the day. I have a battery friendly watch face and only have notifications for fitness and phone/messages. I have restarted/rebooted, unpaired and repaired my watch so many times, I’ve about given up. Also, when I went for a walk without my phone earlier today I checked to see what network my phone was on and it was LTE instead of the cellular button being green (I saw somewhere white meant it was connected to the phone and green meant it was using cellular data). Thoughts?

Jan 1, 2023 9:41 AM in response to 912systems

I tried all the above suggestions such as resetting the watch and my iPhone – nothing worked. I was surprised to find that I could talk to someone at apple here in the UK with it being New Year’s Eve but I managed to (UK 0800 107 6285). This lady asked if I had reset my watch using a backup which I had. She suggested resetting it from scratch on my iPhone as if it was a new watch. I did and SUCCESS! 

Jan 4, 2023 1:48 AM in response to RobertSch6

**EASY SOLUTION**

After every update, the device (watch phone iPad or whatever) needs to catch up again, load cache, optimising apps etc.

THIS process will put a load on the CPU, the device will get warm, drain battery and if you use it you will see a drop on performance.

Apple devices is great machine witch are made to run indefinitely without a need for reboot, even MacBooks works better when not shut off an turn on every day.

So to recap:

JUST WAIT A DAY

Jan 13, 2023 4:42 PM in response to RobertSch6

Well, I’ve narrowed it down to cellular is definitely draining my battery. Had my phone on me multiple days at work this week and the battery was fine those days, at 64% 13 hours after full charge as opposed to 4-5 hours. Battery does still drain faster than I would prefer when tracking a fitness activity (almost 10% for a 35 minute jog), but still manageable if I remain in range of my phone. No sense in paying for a service that is draining my battery, so canceled my cellular service and will hopefully re-up it once Apple figures out a fix in a future software update 😞

Jan 13, 2023 6:44 PM in response to kait1098

Device: Watch Series 4 LTE & Cellular

One morning I began working out for 30 minutes, battery drained from 100% to 45%. Then I just observed on non-activity mode, in 2 minutes it suddenly dropped to 38%.

Next day it did same thing.

Then,

Here are the following steps I performed to fix my watch which had battery drain issue after updating to 9.3.

Steps:

1) Back up your watch

2) unpair and complete erase and reset.

3) Repair it.

4) select the backup.(I decided to use back up for Watch from 2019 it still updated to 9.3 OS

5) after pairing, removed all unwanted apps.

6) turned off unwanted notifications and background refresh.

7) Turned of any continuous sensor functions:Noise , Low High heart rate and so on.

It works perfect.

I don’t use cellular at all.

My guess is- the new software requires completely erased hardware. I could be wrong. But it’s a guess.

same thing goes with phones that are draining batteries. Back it up and reset it for the new software upgrade to land on hardware independently and not intersect with old software.

hope it helps.

Battery Draining After WatchOS 9.2 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.