Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permission denied when updating to big sur

I'm trying to update to Big Sur, because I thought it would help fix an issue with my contacts. But when I got to install it I get an error saying I don't have permissions. I've tried on three separate admin accounts, one made just for this. And still got the same error when I went to the get info part for the drive labeled Macintosh it says admins are read only and only the system has read and write. I also went into my settings and made sure the install big sur app had permissions. I'm not sure what else to try.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 12:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2022 4:21 AM

The " Owner Account of this computer "  has that privilege to add, remove, upgrade or downgrade accounts. This would include adding more Admin Accounts and / or downgrading an ADDED Admin account 

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Normally the " Owner Account  " is the very first Account used when the Computer was Very First Setup as New and out of the box.

Would suggest logging out of whatever account is being used Now and back into the " Owner " account

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2022 4:21 AM in response to angus_macgyver1

The " Owner Account of this computer "  has that privilege to add, remove, upgrade or downgrade accounts. This would include adding more Admin Accounts and / or downgrading an ADDED Admin account 

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Normally the " Owner Account  " is the very first Account used when the Computer was Very First Setup as New and out of the box.

Would suggest logging out of whatever account is being used Now and back into the " Owner " account

Permission denied when updating to big sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.