Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview won't let me open pdf files I created a few years ago on a different mac computer

I upgraded to a 2022 Macbook Air, and am using Monterey 12.5.1.

I have some older PDF files created on an earlier macbook. I could not get Adobe to work on the new computer so I started using Preview. I cannot open anything but very recent pdf's with Preview. The message is "This document is password protected" and "please enter the password below", on the usual grey background for these things.

I never put a password on these files. I tried a couple of online unlock pdf password sites, no success, both said it was a very strong encryption.

Can anyone help me recover these files?

Thanks

-Lynn

MacBook, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 1:57 PM

On your old Mac, when you assigned those PDF passwords, you may or may not have checked the box to have Keychain remember the password. If you did check that box, then the operating system would intervene in that user account on that Mac to query the password and automatically unlock and open the PDF.

If you changed your user credentials or password on the new MacBook Air, or you no longer have that older Mac's keychain data from a data migration, then the operating system cannot help you and you must remember the password as that will be the only means to open the PDFs.

As dialabrain has mentioned, the current Adobe Acrobat Reader DC works just fine on Monterey 12.* and Ventura 13.1.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2022 1:57 PM in response to missyclb

On your old Mac, when you assigned those PDF passwords, you may or may not have checked the box to have Keychain remember the password. If you did check that box, then the operating system would intervene in that user account on that Mac to query the password and automatically unlock and open the PDF.

If you changed your user credentials or password on the new MacBook Air, or you no longer have that older Mac's keychain data from a data migration, then the operating system cannot help you and you must remember the password as that will be the only means to open the PDFs.

As dialabrain has mentioned, the current Adobe Acrobat Reader DC works just fine on Monterey 12.* and Ventura 13.1.

Dec 15, 2022 1:46 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks Dialabrain and VikinOSX.

I honestly don't believe I password protected these files which are not confidential at all. But the passage of time means I can't be certain. I guess I just have to let them go.

I have updated my OS, good reminder. And downloaded Acrobat Reader. I really liked my old setup but things change and we have to keep up.

Thanks again.

Preview won't let me open pdf files I created a few years ago on a different mac computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.