Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problem using M2 created external startup disk

I created a Ventura startup disk on an external ssd using a Macbook Air M2. The external drive name is correct (VenturaOS) when selecting it from Startup Options, and boots/works on the M2 Macbook. But when I try the same external drive on an Intel Macbook Pro, the external drive name is EFI Boot (which is the first partition on the drive) and it will not boot, it will only restart.

I am troubleshooting the Intel Macbook Pro, it may be the problem, but I want to know if the external drive created using the Macbook Air M2 should be able to boot on the Intel Macbook, or if I need to created the external drive using an Intel Macbook.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 1:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 5:42 PM

That's not going to work. The Intel and Apple Silicon M1 / M2 processors are not compatible. Intel processors run x86_64 compiled binaries while Apple Silicon processors run arm64 binaries. It's a totally different machine language.

You'll need another Intel Mac to create the bootable drive to boot the broken Intel Mac. Or you can get a friend with a working Intel Mac to create a bootable USB flash drive macOS installer. Boot the broken Mac from the flash drive while the external drive is attached, erase the external drive and install macOS on the external drive. Then reboot from the external drive. That should work.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2022 5:42 PM in response to little_tommy

That's not going to work. The Intel and Apple Silicon M1 / M2 processors are not compatible. Intel processors run x86_64 compiled binaries while Apple Silicon processors run arm64 binaries. It's a totally different machine language.

You'll need another Intel Mac to create the bootable drive to boot the broken Intel Mac. Or you can get a friend with a working Intel Mac to create a bootable USB flash drive macOS installer. Boot the broken Mac from the flash drive while the external drive is attached, erase the external drive and install macOS on the external drive. Then reboot from the external drive. That should work.

problem using M2 created external startup disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.