Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop Playing on Mac Clock App Not Working

While macOS Ventura finally brings the Clock app on the Mac the "Stop Playing" feature when using the countdown timer doesn't work.

Because there are no Preferences for the Clock app there's nothing I can do to check to see if there's an option to only stop play from certain apps and/or websites, so I'm not sure what else can be done other than Apple providing a patch to make it work the same way it does on the iPhone.

Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this but if you have a fix please share. 👍🏽

Mac Studio, macOS 13.1

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 9:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2022 8:55 AM

With all due respect, if it wasn't meant to work like it does on the iPhone then why did Apple bother including it? The "Stop Playing" feature is designed to stop audio/video from playing but I've yet to find a single piece of media that it will stop playing once the timer is up.

I'll use the link you provided and share my feedback but I still find it odd that I have to tell Apple to make a feature they included to work as intended.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2022 8:55 AM in response to dialabrain

With all due respect, if it wasn't meant to work like it does on the iPhone then why did Apple bother including it? The "Stop Playing" feature is designed to stop audio/video from playing but I've yet to find a single piece of media that it will stop playing once the timer is up.

I'll use the link you provided and share my feedback but I still find it odd that I have to tell Apple to make a feature they included to work as intended.

Dec 15, 2022 11:49 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

it makes sense that with all the operations happening in macOS versus a iOS it would make sense how the Clock app might get confused as to what it needs to stop. As you said, it's clear that this feature was just an oversight but hopefully something Apple will look into.

Again, I would completely understand if it's limited to only Apple apps like Music, TV and QuickTime but then eventually opened up to other apps or find a way to recognize media played from Safari tabs.

It's pretty clear that Apple included the Clock app without fully testing all its features or maybe they figured they'd include it then address it once they had enough complaints from people like myself.

Cheers! 👍🏽

[Edited by Moderator]

Dec 15, 2022 9:38 AM in response to incredibilistic

It may be an oversight. This app seems ported from iPhone using Catalyst, so it is only barely a mac application.

The Mac is different from the iPhone. There only one application is active, and probably the system can issue a simple command to stop playing. On the mac, there can be hundreds of applications producing sound (on odd occasions, even more than one at the same time) - Safari, Music, Quicktime Player, iMovie, Spotify,....

It is even unclear what the effect should be; in any case, there is not even a definite way to tell an arbitrary application to stop playing.

I think that the proper solution, at least at this time, would have been to omit this "Stop Playing" from the application.

Stop Playing on Mac Clock App Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.