Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Newsroom Update

Apple and Major League Baseball announce July “Friday Night Baseball” schedule. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn’t my Apple TV update automatically?

Even though I have software updates set to automatic update, it doesn’t seem to do it without manual intervention. How is one supposed to use AppleTv as a remote home hub if you can’t keep it updated while away from home?

Apple TV (2nd gen)

Posted on Dec 15, 2022 4:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2022 5:38 AM

I don’t think Apple TV will update in sleep mode. It has to be on and active to do the procedure.

Automatic updates may trail a few days after release date, presumably to help spread the server load.

Similar to macOS and iOS, Apple TV will not jump to a next major version automatically (like 15.x → 16.x).

What home hub functionality needs the latest update when nobody’s there?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2022 5:38 AM in response to gaga10

I don’t think Apple TV will update in sleep mode. It has to be on and active to do the procedure.

Automatic updates may trail a few days after release date, presumably to help spread the server load.

Similar to macOS and iOS, Apple TV will not jump to a next major version automatically (like 15.x → 16.x).

What home hub functionality needs the latest update when nobody’s there?

Why doesn’t my Apple TV update automatically?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.