Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Related Article: About the security content of iOS 15.7.2 and iPadOS 15.7.2

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does the download always fail when I try to install on my iPad

Why can’t I download the newest update for m IPad. It says download failed after trying several times? I have automatic updates turned on also.

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 4:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 4:26 AM

Try and update your iPad via a pc or Mac instead

Update your iPad using a Mac with macOS Catalina or higher

On a Mac with macOS Catalina or higher, you will use the finder in order to upgrade your iPad. Make sure to Back up your device before starting the upgrade process.

On a Mac with macOS Catalina or later, you will follow the following steps:

1. Open a finder window
  2. Connect your device to your Mac via a lighting to usb A or a lightning to usb c cable
  3. Select your device in the left sidebar of the finder window
  4. click general, then click check for update
  5. Click download and update.
  6. If asked, enter your iPad passcode

Update your iPad via a Mac running macOS Mojave or earlier, or on a Windows PC

On macOS Mojave or earlier, or on a windows machine, we won't use the Finder to upgrade your iPadOS

Instead, we will use iTunes. Make sure to Back up your device before doing any update or upgrade to your iPad.

1. Open iTunes
  2. connect your device to the computer with an lightning to usb a or a lightning to usb c cable
  3. Click device button in the iTunes toolbar
  4. In the summary tab, click check for update
  5. Click download and update, follow The on screen instructions
  6. If asked, enter your iPad passcode.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2022 4:26 AM in response to nrthernrebel

Try and update your iPad via a pc or Mac instead

Update your iPad using a Mac with macOS Catalina or higher

On a Mac with macOS Catalina or higher, you will use the finder in order to upgrade your iPad. Make sure to Back up your device before starting the upgrade process.

On a Mac with macOS Catalina or later, you will follow the following steps:

1. Open a finder window
  2. Connect your device to your Mac via a lighting to usb A or a lightning to usb c cable
  3. Select your device in the left sidebar of the finder window
  4. click general, then click check for update
  5. Click download and update.
  6. If asked, enter your iPad passcode

Update your iPad via a Mac running macOS Mojave or earlier, or on a Windows PC

On macOS Mojave or earlier, or on a windows machine, we won't use the Finder to upgrade your iPadOS

Instead, we will use iTunes. Make sure to Back up your device before doing any update or upgrade to your iPad.

1. Open iTunes
  2. connect your device to the computer with an lightning to usb a or a lightning to usb c cable
  3. Click device button in the iTunes toolbar
  4. In the summary tab, click check for update
  5. Click download and update, follow The on screen instructions
  6. If asked, enter your iPad passcode.

Dec 16, 2022 4:17 AM in response to nrthernrebel

Whether or not you are able to update any iPad to a newer version of iOS/iPadOS will be dictated by the iPad model - and the currently installed version of iOS. You can find this information here:

Settings > General > About

Not sure which iPad you have? Identify your iPad model.

Here is a list of the highest version of iOS supported by the older models of iPad (for simplicity - “generations” are shortened to a number) that are restricted in their ability to be updated:

32-bit devices (obsolete)

iPad1 - iOS 5.1.1

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 - iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models), iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad4 - iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only), iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & Cellular)

64-bit devices

iPad Air1, iPad mini2 and iPad mini3 - iOS 12.5.6

iPad Air2, iPad mini4 - iPadOS 15.7.2

Newer models are all able to be updated to the current version, iPadOS 16.2

• iPad Pro (all models)
  • iPad Air (3rd generation and later)
  • iPad (5th generation and later)
  • iPad mini (5th generation and later)

If your iPad is capable of being updated to a more recent version of iOS/iPadOS than is currently installed, these support pages outline both the available methods by which the update can be performed - and troubleshooting should you experience difficulties:

Update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update - Apple Support

iOS update and restore errors – Apple Support

Be aware that while an iPad may be capable of update, it may be too far behind the current version to be updated directly from iPad settings. In such circumstances you will likely need to use a computer to perform the update. You will need access to either a Windows PC (with iTunes for Windows installed) or a Mac (with iTunes or Finder - as appropriate for the installed version of MacOS). Ensure that your installed version of iTunes has been updated to the most recent version; the essential device drivers are included.

Download and use iTunes for Windows – Apple Support

Update to the latest version of iTunes – Apple Support

Update software on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch in iTunes on PC - Apple Support

If you have a beta profile installed, ensure this has been removed from your iPad - as, otherwise, installation of production software updates may be inhibited. This support page provides the necessary information to remove the beta from your iPad:

How to uninstall iOS beta software - Apple Support

You should note that for your iPad to install an available update, its battery must be charged to at least 50% capacity - and/or be connected to its Power Adapter. Similarly, the iPad can only be updated over a standard WiFi connection - or be updated by a PC or Mac using iTunes or Finder - over a USB connection.

Dec 16, 2022 7:29 PM in response to nrthernrebel

Perhaps your iPad year and model is too old?

It is a little hard to help/advise you when you provide little to NO useful information about your iPad.

Lots of iPad year and models.

Here are my questions to you.

Can you, please, confirm what year and model iPad do you have/own?

The “A” model number can be found on the aluminium back of your iPad, in very small print, right under the larger bold print “iPad” on the back of the iPad.

AND/OR

Supply the “M” model number, which can be found in the Settings app, under the General settings panel, then tap About.

Your iPad maybe too old.

What iOS/iPadOS version is this iPad, currently, running? Your iOS/iPadOS version maybe too far behind in iOS/iPadOS versions OR cannot be upgraded/updates any farther than what your iPad OS version is already, currently, running.

Again, your iPad maybe too old.

What is the rated, internal data storage space/capacity of your iPad model and how much of this free, internal data storage capacity is left inside of your iPad model?

All of that additional info can, also, be found in the Settings app, General settings panel, About.

Your iPad needs sufficient free internal data storage space. At the very least, 7-8 GBs or greater internal, free data storage space.

Is your iPad using/running a VPN? You need to, temporarily, disable the VPN.

Is your iPad running an iPadOS Beta version? You need to remove/uninstall the iPadOS Beta software before you will be able to install the Apple “officially” released version of an iPadOS upgrade/update.

Also, make sure your iPad is charged to, at least, 50%, or greater, before attempting the iPadOS upgrade/update.

Dec 17, 2022 3:17 AM in response to MichelPM

Thank you for all the suggestions. I am not at all a computer guy. I have found through your suggestion how to find the model it is 5th generation, MP2F2LL/A. Says I have almost 5 GB free. When I found this info it say it is running the 15.7 software. I have been trying to install 15.7.2 I do have a Norton VPN. It seems if I turn the VPN off and then try to install it, the VPN turns itself on before it can finish. Since I’m running 15.7 is it necessary to have 15.7.2?

Dec 17, 2022 3:47 AM in response to nrthernrebel

iOS/iPadOS 15.7.2 includes essential security updates. You would be best advised to update as soon as practicable.

If the Norton App is preventing the install, as is indicated, remove the Norton App from your iPad - and then perform the system software update. When the update has concluded, you can reinstall Norton.

The Norton App installs a network proxy - with which it can intercept network traffic. This proxy can, in some circumstances, cause issues with the iPad’s internal routing table. If disabling the App does not clear the problem, the App must be temporarily removed.

Dec 17, 2022 12:07 PM in response to nrthernrebel

I finally figured out how to turn off the VPN completely, (71 I yo here) it didn’t help though. It starts the download saying 13 mins, then jumps to 3 and then 2 in a matter of 30 sec. Then times out in about 20 more sec. Then I get a message saying error download failed. I guess I’ll just have to take it over to my son’s. Thanks for your help.

Why does the download always fail when I try to install on my iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.