Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Connecto to NAS Drive

Hi!

I'm trying to connect to my nas drive, but after i have updated my OS to Monterey is not possible, is not taking the user and password. The other computers (all iMacs but with Mojave) connect without any problem. I assumed is a OS problem because two macbook Pro are also unavailable to connect to my USB NAS drive.

Help please!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 5:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 5:57 PM

Hi.

in macOS Monterey, i noticed this problem too.

but its not because of macOS's own fault , as far as i understand.

computer networking knowledge & settings need to be applied by user to resolve this problem.

sometime, you may be luckily using same/similar parameters in your new location or in new devices, then network-resources will still be working,

but you may not be lucky all the time.

My main (MacPro) computer & few side (Macbook, VM, NAS-drives, Printer, etc) computers,

were using a specific WiFi router-1,

But when i changed wifi router (into router-2) for both my main & side computers,

then side computers were not able to access some of the shared-network resource(s) anymore !

( SOLUTION-1 )

So i had to made sure inside the router-2, that, my main computer's network-MAC-address was ASSIGNED A SAME FIXED (LOCAL) IP-ADDRESS, as it was using under the router-1.

Then i did same steps for other computers, NAS-drive, Printer, etc,

that, i made sure their network-MAC-address is always getting same IP-address, assigned by the router-2.

Use reserve ip-address option or use fixed ip-address option inside the DHCP section of your router-2.

After that, i needed to reboot/restart main & side computers,

then side-computers were able to access shared-network resource located in main-computer.

I did not need to change any firewall settings, neither in apple computers, nor inside routers.

( SOLUTION-2 )

Some network-router device from ISP,

can add/use a non-standard or ISP-specified local domain for shared/network resources or for network devices.

For example: a WiFi router from ATT can add/use, for example : ....attlocal.net

at end of network resource or network access name.

So my NAS drive need to use same local domain, to access it:

smb://emde-nas-drive.attlocal.net/

But it suppose to be, just: ....local

etc

smb://emde-nas-drive.local/

.. when you dont want local traffic going into internet side,

but if you have other reason(s) to use internet routable domain, then use accordingly to your plans & understandings & need.

When a router does not assign/declare its own local domain to all DHCP, etc client devices,

then client computers, devices etc, will choose their own local domain,

based on pre-settings inside the OS (macOS) or based on manufacturer (MFR).

So, in macOS Monterey , goto main-menu  > System Preferences... ⚙ > Sharing > there you will see, what local domain is used by your apple computer, connected under the new router , router-2.

Immediately below the "Computer Name", you will see, local network access name.

for example, in my case now its using ".local" at end : emde-mac-pro.local

so from earlier settings knowledge, i knew, i have set the NAS drive as : emde-nas-drive.attlocal.net ,

because i was using the NAS drive under the router-1 from ISP.

So i changed my computer's ethernet port's IP-address into the earlier IP-address that i was using under the router-1,

then attempted to access the NAS drive's HTTP interface via web-browser (by using NAS-drive's IP-address),

(by using a network-switch device, in between my computer and the NAS drive),

that worked.

i changed the local domain, inside the NAS drive,

from ".attlocal.net" , into the ".local".

Then disconnected NAS drive , & my computer, from network-switch,

and connected them back to router-2.

From my computer, i went inside the router-2 configuration HTTP interface, by using router-2's gateway IP-address:

there, i made sure : my side computers , NAS-drive , printer, etc are always assigned a FIXED/same IP-address by the router-2's DHCP service,

based on computer's/device's network MAC-address.

And i made sure, my side all devices, computers are using IP-address under same subnet, inside the router-2.

I made sure, the WiFi network access bands 2.4GHz & 5GHz, & wired/ethernet network , these three types , are allowing local network traffic travel in between those three different medium networks.

Your local devices (local DHCP clients) should use , your router-2's gateway ip-address as its 1st DNS address.

Rebooted : restart Router-2 first, wait 2 minutes.

Rebooted : NAS drive, my computer, other computers, etc, etc.

now, my computer can access the NAS-drive, via SMB, etc protocols:

i had to re-access the NAS-drive, by using it's new access name which has the ".local" at end.

And in other computers, i also had to re-connect with NAS-drive, & with my-computer, by using the new access name which has ".local" at end,

once only, ( when apple computer asks if you want to store network-server resource access pass or not , Allow it for general purpose usage cases ),

Now others can access (shared) network-resource(s) inside my computer.

No password change was necessary, ( but periodic/scheduled access-password change, is a very good secure step indeed ).

... see my next response / post ...

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2022 5:57 PM in response to LuchoAGV

Hi.

in macOS Monterey, i noticed this problem too.

but its not because of macOS's own fault , as far as i understand.

computer networking knowledge & settings need to be applied by user to resolve this problem.

sometime, you may be luckily using same/similar parameters in your new location or in new devices, then network-resources will still be working,

but you may not be lucky all the time.

My main (MacPro) computer & few side (Macbook, VM, NAS-drives, Printer, etc) computers,

were using a specific WiFi router-1,

But when i changed wifi router (into router-2) for both my main & side computers,

then side computers were not able to access some of the shared-network resource(s) anymore !

( SOLUTION-1 )

So i had to made sure inside the router-2, that, my main computer's network-MAC-address was ASSIGNED A SAME FIXED (LOCAL) IP-ADDRESS, as it was using under the router-1.

Then i did same steps for other computers, NAS-drive, Printer, etc,

that, i made sure their network-MAC-address is always getting same IP-address, assigned by the router-2.

Use reserve ip-address option or use fixed ip-address option inside the DHCP section of your router-2.

After that, i needed to reboot/restart main & side computers,

then side-computers were able to access shared-network resource located in main-computer.

I did not need to change any firewall settings, neither in apple computers, nor inside routers.

( SOLUTION-2 )

Some network-router device from ISP,

can add/use a non-standard or ISP-specified local domain for shared/network resources or for network devices.

For example: a WiFi router from ATT can add/use, for example : ....attlocal.net

at end of network resource or network access name.

So my NAS drive need to use same local domain, to access it:

smb://emde-nas-drive.attlocal.net/

But it suppose to be, just: ....local

etc

smb://emde-nas-drive.local/

.. when you dont want local traffic going into internet side,

but if you have other reason(s) to use internet routable domain, then use accordingly to your plans & understandings & need.

When a router does not assign/declare its own local domain to all DHCP, etc client devices,

then client computers, devices etc, will choose their own local domain,

based on pre-settings inside the OS (macOS) or based on manufacturer (MFR).

So, in macOS Monterey , goto main-menu  > System Preferences... ⚙ > Sharing > there you will see, what local domain is used by your apple computer, connected under the new router , router-2.

Immediately below the "Computer Name", you will see, local network access name.

for example, in my case now its using ".local" at end : emde-mac-pro.local

so from earlier settings knowledge, i knew, i have set the NAS drive as : emde-nas-drive.attlocal.net ,

because i was using the NAS drive under the router-1 from ISP.

So i changed my computer's ethernet port's IP-address into the earlier IP-address that i was using under the router-1,

then attempted to access the NAS drive's HTTP interface via web-browser (by using NAS-drive's IP-address),

(by using a network-switch device, in between my computer and the NAS drive),

that worked.

i changed the local domain, inside the NAS drive,

from ".attlocal.net" , into the ".local".

Then disconnected NAS drive , & my computer, from network-switch,

and connected them back to router-2.

From my computer, i went inside the router-2 configuration HTTP interface, by using router-2's gateway IP-address:

there, i made sure : my side computers , NAS-drive , printer, etc are always assigned a FIXED/same IP-address by the router-2's DHCP service,

based on computer's/device's network MAC-address.

And i made sure, my side all devices, computers are using IP-address under same subnet, inside the router-2.

I made sure, the WiFi network access bands 2.4GHz & 5GHz, & wired/ethernet network , these three types , are allowing local network traffic travel in between those three different medium networks.

Your local devices (local DHCP clients) should use , your router-2's gateway ip-address as its 1st DNS address.

Rebooted : restart Router-2 first, wait 2 minutes.

Rebooted : NAS drive, my computer, other computers, etc, etc.

now, my computer can access the NAS-drive, via SMB, etc protocols:

i had to re-access the NAS-drive, by using it's new access name which has the ".local" at end.

And in other computers, i also had to re-connect with NAS-drive, & with my-computer, by using the new access name which has ".local" at end,

once only, ( when apple computer asks if you want to store network-server resource access pass or not , Allow it for general purpose usage cases ),

Now others can access (shared) network-resource(s) inside my computer.

No password change was necessary, ( but periodic/scheduled access-password change, is a very good secure step indeed ).

... see my next response / post ...

Dec 18, 2022 3:36 PM in response to LuchoAGV

... (see my previous posts) ...

i forget to add these below info. (this forum does not allow re-edit, so posting corrections, additional info).

inside router-2, i made sure its using the ".local" as it's local domain (aka: Search Domain, Local Domain, etc), more info: here.

So all devices, computers under it received that same DNS suffix, when DHCP protocols are utilized from router-2.

In my case/place, i use home-office Router-1, which is my/our main router. And then, there is Router-3 for home usage purpose, connected into router-1's LAN side. And there is Router-2 for office usage purpose, also connected into router-1's LAN side. Router-1 is set/configured to allot/assign fixed/same ip-address to the router-2 & router-3, etc by using their network MAC-address. Router-1, Router-2, Router-3, each 3 are using 3 different local-domain dns suffix. Router-2 & Router-3 etc are set/configured to override the dns-suffix from router-1 and use their own dns-suffix , for-example : ".home.local" (in router-3) , ".office.local" (in router-2), etc.

To user LuchoAGV :

Your local network side all devices+computers+phones+router(s),

or local side specific set of devices+computers+phones+router(s) which you want to group for a specific purpose,

... those devices+computers+router(s) need to use specific local domain dns suffix.

So you should do this in your router(s), because router uses DHCP protocol to send the default or pre-determined or pre-set DNS-suffix, to all devices+computers+phones that are connecting into it.

In macOS, to share USB based devices/storages, etc OR to share other resource(s), with local (or remote) network, other users, etc,

you should create separate ("Sharing only") user-account(s) in your macOS , to be used only for sharing purpose, more info:

Find your computer’s name and network address on Mac - Apple Support (NG)

Change your computer’s name or local hostname on Mac - Apple Support (NG)

Create a sharing-only user account on Mac - Apple Support (NG)

Change Users & Groups Sharing Only User preferences on Mac - Apple Support (NG)

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support (NG)

Set up file sharing on Mac - Apple Support (NG)

Share files with others who use your Mac - Apple Support (NG)

Set the protocol for file sharing on Mac - Apple Support (NG)

Connect your Mac to shared computers and servers - Apple Support (NG)

Share Mac files with Windows users - Apple Support (NG)

If your Mac can’t connect to another computer - Apple Support (NG)

Proper settings need to be done in router first,

then in the mac computer which has your USB NAS drive.

Then configure other MacPro(s), other mac computers, phones, windows computers, etc

... which are accessing the USB NAS drive (a shared network resource) via the mac computer where its connected into.

If the USB NAS drive/device, has ethernet port, then you should use a local Network-Switch device or Connect it directly behind your home/office router's one of the LAN port.

Then re-configure the NAS if needed.

So that all others in your LAN side, can use it via local network , directly . Not via one of your mac computer.

But if the NAS does not have ethernet port, or you have special reason to configure it behind one of your mac computer, then you do what you need to do.

Usually, as far as i know, after a major version macOS update in a networked mac computer,

... previous shared server access, previous shared network resource access, etc ... in it,

all usually remains fine, & keeps on working.

Unless some update related step was changed significantly.

or macOS update had to change some settings to complete the update according to its pre-set policies.

Usually in such case, i wud change password of user accounts, or change password for shared-resource,

then re-specify new password, in my side every/each device/phone/computer where needed.

Dec 23, 2022 9:14 AM in response to LuchoAGV

in macOS Ventura discussions thread,

see this response SMB File Sharing not working in Ventura - Apple Community

also see other's responses after that.

( USB NAS drive uses SMB ).

... if you follow steps from that user (and others), on the computer which has the USB NAS drive, then you may be able to solve your NAS drive access problem after updating into Monterey.

if everything remained in same location/place, all connections are exactly same, same devices (routers, computers, phones, NAS drive, etc) are being used, etc, then those steps may work on Monterey as well.

Because, following those steps re-activates the shared account, shared folder/resource, password, etc, etc.

Dec 16, 2022 7:20 AM in response to LuchoAGV

user names and passwords are case-sensitive so

secretpassword would not work if it was really SecretPassWord

also one could check the status of the firewall of the computer which has trouble

and of cause verify they are all on the same network as some wifi routers keep wired ethernet, 2.4Ghz wifi and 5Ghz wifi as separate networks unless one bridge them in the routers configuration

Dec 16, 2022 5:48 PM in response to LuchoAGV

... see my earlier response / post ...

If i need to move into a different wifi access location,

i now take the router-2 with my computers, & the NAS-drive, etc.

As i have OpenWRT based firmware inside router-2 ,

that allows the router-2 to become a wifi-client for a new wifi router (in home or hotel-room etc),

then rest of the router settings in router-2, allows to use the wifi-client as an Access-Point (AP) for rest of my devices/computers, etc,

in that way, all ip-address & other settings etc remain same for my devices, NAS drive, etc,

As long as my devices are using same wifi SSID in my router-2, i have no problem in accessing them.

In my-case, in router-2, I have allowed the 5GHz wifi band to be used as a wifi-client in new places,

in that way, i get faster bandwidth connection,

and my devices which needs wifi access, is using the 2.4GHz wifi band SSID in router-2 as my internet+local routing AP.

If my router-2 had 3 internal-cards for 3 wifi bands (2.4GHz, 5GHz, 5.8GHz), then i could have used 5GHz band card as wifi-client, and 2.4GHz & 5.8GHz band-cards for my own devices.

Can't Connecto to NAS Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.