Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is it so hard to thank a poster (like BobHarris) for a solution?

So many times I find the answer to something I'm looking for in an older thread that's been closed. I wish Apple would make it easier to thank guys like BobHarris for their tireless efforts over the years. Even being able to message each other privately just to say "thanks," or allow praise on old threads that keep answering questions more succinctly than Apple's docs do?

That would be nice.

This experience has occurred more than once and it's frustrating not to be able to thank someone who saved you tons of time with a clear, concise, and cogent response.

In this case (today) I was just trying to get clarity about the highest wattage output for an Apple Watch (7,8, & Ultra) that supports fast charging. I thought my expensive Belkin Trois stand was, but recently realized it's a mere 5W for the watch charger part. 👎🏼 That really became apparent when the Ultra I got (and LOVE) just seemed to take a long time to fully charge. Apple is kind a bit confusing in their tech docs that recommend chargers beginning at 18 watts, but for the best possible, fastest charge, it seems clear you should start with 20W and up.

I appreciate that guys like Bob can chime in clear this up better than the tech writers at Apple.

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 1:20 PM

It’s nice of you to want to thank the volunteers who are answering questions. Since it is not possible to send a private message, I recommend these two methods:

1. Mark the answer as Helpful or Best Answer. We get points for that and the points add up to some perks.
  2. Reply to the post, saying “thank you.” I can tell you that when someone does that, it makes my day! We are unpaid volunteers, trying to help other users. A thank you lets us know that we are making a difference … which is why many of us are here.
14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2022 1:20 PM in response to Mick Guinn

It’s nice of you to want to thank the volunteers who are answering questions. Since it is not possible to send a private message, I recommend these two methods:

1. Mark the answer as Helpful or Best Answer. We get points for that and the points add up to some perks.
  2. Reply to the post, saying “thank you.” I can tell you that when someone does that, it makes my day! We are unpaid volunteers, trying to help other users. A thank you lets us know that we are making a difference … which is why many of us are here.

Dec 16, 2022 12:14 PM in response to babowa

Thanks. Much obliged.

My point was not that "we" give out personal information, but rather that there should be a way to message a member on the site with no info exposed. Similar to other social media services, users could always block someone if it was abused, but otherwise, it would be nice to be able to interact regardless of the age of a thread.

Dec 16, 2022 1:12 PM in response to babowa

Thanks again for the assist.

There's no question that "Apple runs these forums and makes the rules." My point was that Apple should tweak them a bit for the purpose I mentioned herein.

And, in the broadest terms, any virtual place you meet people and can exchange thoughts with others, is a form of "social media." I left FaceBook a few years ago, but still dabble now and then on Twitter or Instagram. Not suggesting/desiring that the Apple Boards become like any of those, but rather give us a chance to express some human emotion like gratitude. 🙏🏽

Thanks again for your assist.

Dec 16, 2022 6:06 PM in response to Mick Guinn

Hello,

I understand and deeply appreciate the desire to be civil and polite in this angry world we live in. However, bandwidth is finite; it means the necessary closing of inactive threads. If you see a helpful answer right away, you can always post a "thank you" response and the person may—not "will"— see it.

Wait a month or two. Not so much.

If a post is closed for inactivity (~45 days, maybe), it is unlikely the person you wish to thank would return to an old thread to check for accolades. Most of the active contributors answer dozens to hundreds of posts per day. Trying to revisit any to see if there are thanks there would take time away from helping someone else.

Also the number or registered user here is staggering, estimated as a seven-digit number. Yet for all that, by my count there are fewer that 125 users who are helping on a regular (±daily) basis.

Using the "Best answer" or "Helpful" buttons is the best way to say "thank you." Those buttons trigger an admin email the person who provided the answer so they know what they did helped someone.

Dec 16, 2022 6:33 PM in response to Allan Jones

Thanks, Allan. Looks like you've put a lot of time in here too. Much obliged.

But I don't think anyone but the original poster can hit "helpful" or "best answer" right? I've found answers that are years old and still relevant, and it's just kind of a shame I can't say they were helpful or saved my turkey bacon.

I'm not sure what the solution is, I just would love an opportunity to thank people when they do me a solid.

Why is it so hard to thank a poster (like BobHarris) for a solution?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.