Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i turn off two-step verifcation

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 3:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 3:16 PM

Be very careful.

You specifically asked about two-step verification, which is an outdated method of securing your Apple ID.

If you really mean two-step verification, which was superseded by two-factor authentication about eight years ago, it can in fact be turned off as documented here.

Two-step verification for Apple ID - Apple Support

Hopefully you really are using two-factor authentication, which cannot be turned off.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2022 3:16 PM in response to Windwomyn

Be very careful.

You specifically asked about two-step verification, which is an outdated method of securing your Apple ID.

If you really mean two-step verification, which was superseded by two-factor authentication about eight years ago, it can in fact be turned off as documented here.

Hopefully you really are using two-factor authentication, which cannot be turned off.

Dec 16, 2022 4:13 PM in response to sberman

sberman wrote:

Be very careful.

For what I edited to boldface--

Is the following no longer true?

"[…]If you're already using two-factor authentication with your Apple ID, you can't turn it off. If you updated to two-factor authentication inadvertently, you can turn it off within two weeks of enrollment. If you do, your account is less secure and you can't use features that require a higher level of security.[…]"

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Dec 16, 2022 5:47 PM in response to ishrugged

If you're already using two-factor authentication with your Apple ID, you can't turn it off.

True. The key words here might be "already using". In other words, you have actually started to use the authentication.

That's why my answer above stated......"Once you start, you cannot stop." The word "start" here implies that you have begun to use the security authentication.

If you updated to two-factor authentication inadvertently, you can turn it off within two weeks of enrollment

Also true. This would mean that you signed up, but have not started to use the authentication.

If you are not sure whether you have started or not, the simplest way to find out would be to try to turn off two-factor. If you cannot turn it off, you have already started. If you are able to turn it off, you have not yet started.

Dec 16, 2022 6:00 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you, Bob Timmons and sberman.

The wording in that paragraph is tricky. I'm not sure if the "already using" prevents one from unenrolling from two-factor within the two week window. I've only helped unenroll folks who enrolled inadvertently and had never used it. As Bob Timmons said, the easy way to find out is to try to turn it off.

That can be done by choosing that option/link in the email received when one enrolls in two-factor authentication.

Thanks again.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.