Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I use quick start to set up my new iPhone, will malware transfer from my old iPhone 11 Pro?

I suspect there may be malware/spyware on my old iPhone 11 Pro from my ex. How should I set up my new iPhone to avoid allowing my ex access to the new iPhone with the malware/spyware? I want my pictures from my old iPhone. Also, if I use quick start to set up my new iPhone, will malware transfer from my old iPhone? Thanks.

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 3:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 11:59 PM

1. Find and delete all apps that you did not install yourself.
  2. If your iCloud storage is full then it is not not saving photos on iCloud. You are correct that the photos are only saved on your iPhone.
  3. Glad that you have changed the password to the Apple ID.

I was going to initially recommend setting up the new iPhone separately and not transferring anything from your old iPhone. I was hoping that you had an iCloud backup of your photos and that you would simply restore those photos on your new iPhone through iCloud. Unfortunately, your photos are only on the iPhone. Based on this, my recommendation is that you find and delete all apps that you personally did not install and then begin the transfer of data to your new iPhone.

Axel F.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2022 11:59 PM in response to coalro

1. Find and delete all apps that you did not install yourself.
  2. If your iCloud storage is full then it is not not saving photos on iCloud. You are correct that the photos are only saved on your iPhone.
  3. Glad that you have changed the password to the Apple ID.

I was going to initially recommend setting up the new iPhone separately and not transferring anything from your old iPhone. I was hoping that you had an iCloud backup of your photos and that you would simply restore those photos on your new iPhone through iCloud. Unfortunately, your photos are only on the iPhone. Based on this, my recommendation is that you find and delete all apps that you personally did not install and then begin the transfer of data to your new iPhone.

Axel F.

Dec 16, 2022 3:41 PM in response to coalro

Questions for you:

1. What makes you believe that you have malware/spyware on your iPhone? Please provide specific examples of why you believe so.
  2. Do you use iCloud for photos? Open Settings ➡️ Apple ID (Your Name at Top) ➡️ iCloud ➡️ Photos: Is this switch set to ON or OFF?
  3. Do you share your Apple ID and Password with anyone on another device?

I ask those questions to understand whether there is malware/spyware on your iPhone. It is nearly impossible to get that software installed on an iPhone unless the iPhone has been jailbroken. To answer your question, YES, if you use the Quick Start method then ALL data from your old iPhone will be transferred to your new iPhone.

Axel F.

Dec 16, 2022 4:39 PM in response to Axel Foley

1. My ex had access to my phone, and placed another verizon app that allowed them to see the text messages i received and sent. My friends believe my ex likely did other things as well.
  2. I do use iCloud, yet it is full and I have all my new photos on my iPhone 11 Pro.
  3. My ex had access to my old Apple ID and password, though I have changed them since then.

My iPhone 11 Pro is not jail broken.

If I use quick start to set up my new iPhone, will malware transfer from my old iPhone 11 Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.